Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Customized Cub Cadets

Notices

Old 01-08-2015, 10:01 PM

Default 122 with a 16hp v-twin ?

hi all, i'm new around here but not to wrenching. I have a 122 that my grandfather bought new years ago. I spent a lot of time on it as a kid until it crapped out on us. it got parked in the barn and pretty much has been sitting there ever since. I got the bug to fix it up a bit and put it to use. so far i'm in the process of converting it into a narrow front. I've got the tires and rims and a few other pieces, I've just gotta get that part put together. it's getting a set of 23x10.50 firestone 23*s on the back. possibly widening the rear fenders to cover up a bit of the wider tires. it'll get a lift of some sort on the back to pull my brinly plow and hopefully some other implements. i'm looking at putting a 22hp v-twin on this and it will be weighted quite heavy(I despise spinning). I will be upgrading to a Kevlar clutch disc because mine is shot. after all this rambling my main question is, will the stock drive shaft be up to the task of the extra hp/traction. I keep reading about the pullers upgrading do to driveshafts twisting off. I have no problem upgrading it if it needs it, but i'd hate to flush money down the toilet if the factory shaft is up to the task at hand.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:06 PM

It depends on what you are going to use it for.A lot of heavy duty stuff will need the better drive shaft, but just pulling around a yard cart should be fine.My question is why not make sure you have a good enough drive shaft to do what you want without have to question it.A peace of mind is worth quiet a bit.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:28 AM
Administrator

I'm all for repowering and modifying things but I would never hack up a tractor that my Grandfather owned. Trust me years from now you will hate that you did that. I'd restore it and park it.

IF you decide to do it anyway in order to make a V-twin fit you'll need to spread the frame to get it to fit. Then you should upgrade the clutch and drive shaft. This is what I used when I put a Mag 12 into a 71. Got it from Mid West Super Cub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2054.jpg (14.6 KB, 1054 views)
BX2670 with FEL
Old 01-09-2015, 07:53 AM

i agree with Sam, i have my grandfathers '71 case 220 and i hold it pretty dear to me..I remember riding it as a little kid..it still does some work, but i wouldnt ever go cutting it up..i suppose at least youd be keeping it around though in some fashion....just my 2 cents though... I think if youre gonna make a new drive shaft, you might as well update the carrier as well and the axle shafts...
Old 01-09-2015, 10:50 AM
Grand Member

Welcome to OCC.

Thank Sam for speaking up, I don't understand the logic either, I guess we are all sentimental at a different level.

With the OP being from NY, I would think that someone else's Grandfathers Cub could be bought for a little bit of nothing and used as fodder for a heavily modified machine.

I also don't understand the logic of putting a huge engine in a tricycle Cub, it almost seems counterproductive, kinda like strapping a jet engine on your back while wearing roller skates and using ski poles to guide yourself.

I guess as long as this project is done tastefully and doesn't turn into a pile of parts and scrap metal that ends up being shoved off into a corner somewhere, it will be alright.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:27 PM

I wanta give a quick thankyou to the members with helpful responses. on a side note I did not realize that my post would bring up so much passion(sp). to those that disagree with what i'm doing, the way I look at it is my grandfather bought this tractor to use/work it not to sit in his garage and look at it being pretty. I guess I can't grasp the concept of fixing something all up, making it pretty, and running like a champ, then parking it. as far as a "huge" engine in a "tricycle", how is this counter productive? I don't see how a 20'sh hp engine is huge, and what does the narrow front end have to do with what size engine is on the tractor? what you imply is that a narrow front end can't handle horsepower or isn't capable of steering. I've driven several different brands/models of tractors where the narrow fronts handled a lot better than the wide fronts. i'm really not trying to come off as a a hole but it seems like i'm being bombarded by the sentimental police in the part of the forum that's meant to cut stuff up and modify it. again thankyou to those that answered my simple question. I will look into that driveshaft/clutch setup, I will also be looking into upgrading the transaxle. I will be posting pic's as thing's come together.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:33 PM

on another side note, what does being from ny have to do with finding a cub to chop up. check the craigslist in my area. $800+ if you can find one. i'm sorry I've gotten so defensive, but I don't think I've ever been cut down like I have over this post.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
kinda like strapping a jet engine on your back while wearing roller skates
Hey don't knock it unless you've tried it. It HAS been done!

My rule of thumb is "Your tractor, your rules." Have fun with it AND POST PICS or it didn't happen!
Old 01-10-2015, 12:16 AM
Grand Member

Please pardon my ignorance, I have been under the impression that Cubs were fairly plentiful in your area of the country and relatively cheap.

I too believe that Cubs were meant to be used (I do not own a trailer queen) but I do have a considerable amount of respect for those who own or want to own a restored garden tractor and keep it in pristine condition.

As for the sentiment thing, we are all just different, guess that's what make the world go round.

I do stand by the theory that tricycle tractors are a considerable amount more unstable than wide front tractors and I do believe that with, what I consider to be a huge engine installed, it could cause a precarious situation. I also believe that the narrower the front of the tractor the more difficult it is to distribute weight properly compounding the unstable condition.

I would like to apologize to the OP for what may have sounded like something of a scolding in my earlier post, it is your tractor to do with as you wish and that in itself also deserves a considerable amount of respect.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebuilt View Post
I wanta give a quick thankyou to the members with helpful responses. on a side note I did not realize that my post would bring up so much passion(sp). to those that disagree with what i'm doing, the way I look at it is my grandfather bought this tractor to use/work it not to sit in his garage and look at it being pretty. I guess I can't grasp the concept of fixing something all up, making it pretty, and running like a champ, then parking it. as far as a "huge" engine in a "tricycle", how is this counter productive? I don't see how a 20'sh hp engine is huge, and what does the narrow front end have to do with what size engine is on the tractor? what you imply is that a narrow front end can't handle horsepower or isn't capable of steering. I've driven several different brands/models of tractors where the narrow fronts handled a lot better than the wide fronts. i'm really not trying to come off as a a hole but it seems like i'm being bombarded by the sentimental police in the part of the forum that's meant to cut stuff up and modify it. again thankyou to those that answered my simple question. I will look into that driveshaft/clutch setup, I will also be looking into upgrading the transaxle. I will be posting pic's as thing's come together.
Homebuilt

Sorry if I came across as being passionate about you modifying Grand Dads Cub. Trust me I've done plenty of Mods to Cubs as other members will attest. I hacked up a ratty 71, the 71's are the 8th rarest Cub. Little story from my own Life with Cubs. About 53 years ago my uncle bought an Original, my cousin and I ran the crap out of it for about 3 years mowing 3 lawns for the family. Fast forward about 12 years, my uncle passed away and I ended up with the O. Well I used it for a year and traded it in on a New and Improved 1210. Fast forward again to sometime around 2008 or so and I ended up here on OCC. Got the Cub bug and looked at post after post about the Originals. Well they all brought back memories of good times with my Aunt and Uncle and cousin all of them have passed away so I picked up an O a couple yeas ago just as a keep sake. I wish I had never sold Uncles O but at the time to me it was just an old beat-up lawn mower. I'm OK with you doing what ever you wish to do with your tractor just don't want you 10 or 20 years down the road wishing you hadn't. Other members here will tell you I'm about as far from being the correct police as one can be. Good luck in what ever route you choose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3777.jpg (33.1 KB, 983 views)
BX2670 with FEL