Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > The Tool Shed

Notices

Old 04-11-2009, 09:16 PM

Wow...love to have access to that much media. We use regular play sand for stripping paint and black beauty for de-rusting. I have a siphon gun like that but hardly use it, mostly use a 40 year old pressure pot with full headgear and fresh air pump when it's hot out.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:35 PM

FrankenCub,And others,
What do you all reccomend for a cfm/gallon capasity on an air compressor?I want to use it for sand blasting and painting,ect.
I was looking at a few in the catalogs at work,2 were 26 gallon and 6.6/6.5 at 40 psi and 5.8/5.1 at 90 psi.then there was the monster that wasnt to much more actually that was 11.8 at 40 and 10.3 at 90 cfm ????
thanks
Jason
Old 05-20-2009, 09:24 PM

I guess with a sand pile just across the street that is great option.
I will say that the comercial "Black Beauty" cuts a lot faster. They sell it at my local TSC store. I also try to use a tarp to reuse the media.
As for keeping it dry-well I saw an attachment for a pressure washer that mixes the sand and water. Scrape and clean all in one step. I don't know. Anyone ever tried one of those rigs.?
Mike C.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:22 PM

Default Compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67hydro View Post
FrankenCub,And others,
What do you all reccomend for a cfm/gallon capasity on an air compressor?I want to use it for sand blasting and painting,ect.
I was looking at a few in the catalogs at work,2 were 26 gallon and 6.6/6.5 at 40 psi and 5.8/5.1 at 90 psi.then there was the monster that wasnt to much more actually that was 11.8 at 40 and 10.3 at 90 cfm ????
thanks
Jason
They are so cheap today buy the biggest your wallet or wife will let you. 5hp today for under 400.00 John
Old 05-20-2009, 11:31 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphycc View Post
I buy fine play sand at Home Depot and use a large tarp to catch 80% of it and reuse it. Resparator is a must as silica poisoning is deadly.

Scott
You are so right paying for that mistake even today. John
Old 06-17-2009, 06:01 PM

Nice shot from Big Bear Jason. I did my tech school at 29 Palms in 97/98 for the Marine Corps. Me and my buddies camped in Big Bear a few times. I loved it. I know how dry your sand is. :biggrin2.gif:I often ran in it for a couple miles at a time. It is really good for the ankles/knees. A little off-topic, the Army deemed 29 Palms uninhabitable in the 50's, so the Marine Corps bought it for a song and threw a couple of thousand "Jar Heads" there. I love the area you live in. The San Bernadino mountains are great.

"Chug a lug a luggin' 5 miles an hour on my International Harvester"

"Don't forget that ignition key !!"
Old 06-17-2009, 07:27 PM

MrChic,
A good friend is stationed at 29 palms.Thats one heck of a place aint it!!!In that picture 29 palms is to the east/left!!
I enjoy the area also,the heat can get a bit rough,but were 3 hours from everything,LA,Las vegas,the Colorado river,San Deigo/beach,and only an hour from the mountains, and I dont have to live in such a misrable and congested area as "down the hill" LA/inland impire.
Thank you for serving our country,My family really appreciates your sacrafices.I have a 8 year old that i would be pretty amazed if he didnt become a lifer in the service,He has been wanting to go in since he was 5 and his desire to hasnt subsided!! He really looks up to the Marines and Army guys here in town.
Did you ever make it out to Fort Irwin??
The company I work for is putting a couple big Evap coolers in out at 29 palms.

Mike C,
I only have Used the blow sand around here,its slooooooow cutting as Id say 30% is dust and dirt!! In the future Im going to get my own bottom feed sand blaster then Ill try the black beauty,ect.
I cant convince my neighbor to wear a resperator,he says his face shield comes down far enough,and the sand we use isnt silica.....isnt all sand silica???? Hes a bit stubron.

Thanks
Jason

:biggrin2.gif: Just one more !!
Old 06-17-2009, 09:59 PM

67hydro, I don't think I ever answered your question about paint stripper in my 100 thread...

Anyway, It helps A LOT. An $8 can will soften and bubble the paint, which can be scraped off by a razor blade. A dull one works best. Then, you only have to sandblast the rusty spots.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:51 PM

Thanks Matt
I might give that a try on the 123 stuff.
Jason

:biggrin2.gif: Just one more !!
Old 07-08-2009, 09:48 AM

I just wanted to drive the point of respirator. Silica poisoning, or silicosis ( not sure of spelling) is something you will have the rest of your life. The sand crystal embeds in your lung, the lung protects itself by forming a cyst or scar tissue around it, each and every time you loose a minute amount of breathing capacity, so the exchange of air to your blood is reduced, you will not notice it all at once, and once you do it's far to late. I knew a man who had it, he could not breath, coughed a horrible dry hacking cough wheezing fighting for every breath of air he took, he got this from sand blasting.

I would suggest never even use sand, as mentioned above black beauty at TSC is cheap around $10 a bag, if my memory serves me right it does not have the silica crystals, rather it's slag from steel mills. Do some research, sand/silica is death to your lungs, if I had my choice I had rather be around asbestos than sand blasting with sand.

Sorry for the long rant, however if it informs just one person it will be worth it.