Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > The Tool Shed

Notices

Old 07-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Clint,
I agree with you I wont even let my kids near when i was sand blasting,and chased the silly dog off.My neighbor on the other hand belives his face mask is enough and blasting up wind.
Thank you for your input
Jason

:biggrin2.gif: Just one more !!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:18 AM

Jason

Sounds like you are already on top of it, I hope I didn't come off as chastising you, I didn't mean to do that...after reading my post it reads like that, I was just trying to be informative more so on the general post than any one person. I have to sandblast several items soon when I get my cub in good mechanical condition I plan to start on the restore of the metal.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:34 PM

No not harsh at all,I realy appreciate your information,before these forums I have never heard of silcosis or whatever the spelling is!!!I would of been out there blasting without anything but safty glasses.
Im glad you posted that info,and I did not read it as harsh!!!
Jason

:biggrin2.gif: Just one more !!
Old 08-01-2009, 12:42 AM

Cool bare foot safety in the works
Old 08-01-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint View Post
I just wanted to drive the point of respirator. Silica poisoning, or silicosis ( not sure of spelling) is something you will have the rest of your life. The sand crystal embeds in your lung, the lung protects itself by forming a cyst or scar tissue around it, each and every time you loose a minute amount of breathing capacity, so the exchange of air to your blood is reduced, you will not notice it all at once, and once you do it's far to late. I knew a man who had it, he could not breath, coughed a horrible dry hacking cough wheezing fighting for every breath of air he took, he got this from sand blasting.

I would suggest never even use sand, as mentioned above black beauty at TSC is cheap around $10 a bag, if my memory serves me right it does not have the silica crystals, rather it's slag from steel mills. Do some research, sand/silica is death to your lungs, if I had my choice I had rather be around asbestos than sand blasting with sand.

Sorry for the long rant, however if it informs just one person it will be worth it.
SILICOSIS Isn't that sort of like a clean black lung, I mean if their is such a thing.
Remember when ever you are working on any of your projects always work safely. Never take chances with your health.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:45 PM

Be careful about sand blasting sheet items, such as the hood. Blasting can warp the metal. Things like the fender pan, that have lots of bends and creases are more resistant to it than thin flat steel. Also, heavier grit sand can peen the metal, sort of work-hardening it, can make it brittle, and cause pitting, especially on thinner sheet metal. Don't over-do it.

As for a compressor, a 5-gallon compressor will handle a sandblaster with a small nozzle orifice diameter, but you'll go nuts having to spray for 10-15 seconds, then wait for 2 minutes for the pressure to build back up. Blasting even small parts will drive you crazy. Even with a little blaster, the large 5-7 hp upright tanks at Home Depot and Lowes will have a hard time keeping up. If you are going to do anything large, get a 2-stage compressor with a pretty large tank and a blaster with a decently large orifice. It will cut down your time in the sand a lot.

I used a 70 gal, 5hp, single stage Husky (Home Depot) upright unit to sandblast parts during the restoration (sort of) a 54 Willys CJ3B Jeep. Warped the hood. It would keep up reasonably well, but I still had to stop every minute or so to let the compressor catch up. That was using a small Craftsman blaster and hopper. Couldn't have done without it though. I never worried about recovering sand, though. At about $5 or less/bag, and with variable grits at the local building supplier, I preferred to just go with the bags. Wash sand (from the river bed) works, but grit selection is "iffy" at best.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Grand Member

Jason,

With all of that sand, now I know why you don't have a deck for that 123......just need a blade to clear the driveway!!

Nice deal on the blaster.........what a quick find!

Cub Cadet 123

PS>Send me a picture of that garage door when you get it done!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 PM

Everyone is familiar with black lung, the coal miners disease. Well, people in the glass industry get silicosis, better known as white lung disease. Thanks for telling us about sandblasting, I was planning to sand blast a front blade for my 124. Now I reconsidering it.

What is Black Aluminum oxide? Any special safety recommendations?

Proud Owner of a Model 100 and a Model 124.
A homemade cart, 2 x 42" mower decks, a 38" deck,
a 42" front NF blade, and a lawn sweeper!