Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 09-13-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperino View Post
Is this meant for working virgin soil? Looks like it would work well loosening up a baseball diamond in the spring before smoothing it out with something finer.
If you don’t need to go deep, it will loosen up virgin soil, but you’ll need patience and do multiple passes because there is only the weight of 3 cement blocks (max weight). It worked perfect for my needs and I was working up virgin soil. If you need to go deep, get a regular plow.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
More like a back scratcher, lol. A chisel plow is really similar to a moldboard in that it rolls the soil, just with a much narrower plow. Chisel plows are designed to work at around an 8" depth. What you have has a sort of chisel point, but will only work about 2" max. A tiller can work deeper. Might be good to bust up a thin crust, but it's not a tillage too, or a finish tool. Putting a sweep on that bar won't work. Mount style is wrong, and with no shank to bolt to, you won't get the shovel in the ground. It's a toy really, lol. In all honesty, you could have done the exact same thing with a rigid spike tooth harrow. I'm not being mean, just stating facts. Harrow would work as deep or deeper, and usually is 4' wide.

On a brinly moldboard plow, are they adjustable in depth if I only wanted to turn over 4-5” inches to keep out of the clay?
Old 09-13-2018, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkedzierski View Post
On a brinly moldboard plow, are they adjustable in depth if I only wanted to turn over 4-5” inches to keep out of the clay?
Yes. They will maintain the depth they are set.

This is why I get frustrated trying to help you. You keep arguing a plow isn't what you needed, but you don't know anything about a plow, so how can you say it isn't what you need??
Old 09-13-2018, 03:46 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Yes. They will maintain the depth they are set.

This is why I get frustrated trying to help you. You keep arguing a plow isn't what you needed, but you don't know anything about a plow, so how can you say it isn't what you need??
Did he ask for help? I think he was just showing us his work and he said he was happy with the outcome.. Others even said it looked good. Seems like it did what he wanted it to do.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Did he ask for help? I think he was just showing us his work and he said he was happy with the outcome.. Others even said it looked good. Seems like it did what he wanted it to do.
Yes, he did. He had another thread before you started hanging around. I think as a lifelong farmer my opinion is worth something. And I don't mean 60 or 70 acre farm. I mean 1500 or more. No, it's not how I make my living, but it used to be and I still help a family farm. I might know a good seed bed when I see one..... and how to make one. I'm just trying to help the guy out.

And as far as I'm concerned, you aren't one of the admins members, so you need not concern yourself with my comments.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:46 PM
Grand Member

Quote:

And as far as I'm concerned, you aren't one of the admins members, so you need not concern yourself with my comments.
Well Jon, Ill start doing that just as soon as you do
Old 09-13-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Yep, just showing off my work and the crop is growing. I’m very happy with my results and I made my purchased based on the respected opinions of others and my current needs. As stated earlier, a plow will likely be purchased in a few years if deemed nesessary. They cost about 3 times what I paid for this unit and if a deal comes along for a used one, I’ll get it.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:49 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkedzierski View Post
Yep, just showing off my work and the crop is growing. I’m very happy with my results and I made my purchased based on the respected opinions of others and my current needs. As stated earlier, a plow will likely be purchased in a few years if deemed nesessary. They cost about 3 times what I paid for this unit and if a deal comes along for a used one, I’ll get it.
Sounds about right! Job well done
Old 09-13-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, he did. He had another thread before you started hanging around. I think as a lifelong farmer my opinion is worth something. And I don't mean 60 or 70 acre farm. I mean 1500 or more. No, it's not how I make my living, but it used to be and I still help a family farm. I might know a good seed bed when I see one..... and how to make one. I'm just trying to help the guy out.

Thanks for your past advice and it was taken into consideration if it matters at all. I hope you’ll continue to offer your 2 cents.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Sounds about right! Job well done
Cheers too! Quite the spirited chat going on here. We’ll see what becomes of this seed bed when I replant in the spring. All views are welcome.