Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 02-25-2023, 07:45 PM

Default Brinly plow on Cub 125

I’m preparing to plow my spring garden for the first time with a Brinly moldboard plow. The owners manual says to start the first furrow in the centerline of the garden and when you reach the end, turn around and go down the furrow you just plowed with the right side tires in the furrow; and then basically it seems you plow “in a circle” by always going the opposite direction when you reach the end of the row. Having said that, wouldn’t the soil you just flipped over be right under the tractor? I’m trying to envision this, but it seems you’d always want to have the soil you just flipped over on your right hand side side the plow turns it over to the right.

How do y’all do it? Garden is 40’x80’.
Old 02-26-2023, 03:41 PM
Senior Moderator

The right side tires go down in the fresh dirt from the previous pass. Here is a plow day I attended in 2013. I'm the fat ugly guy on the 882.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRZyK5tBwUE&t=44s

The first time I plowed mine I started in the center and worked my way out. The next time I plowed I started on the outside and worked my way to the center so I didn't have a big ravine. Lots a fun.

You need to have your plow set properly or it ain't gonna be fun. This how you want your furrow to look. And when you do have one that looks like this at a plow day you have a bunch of green guys lining up behind you.

DSCN3342.jpg
Old 02-26-2023, 05:00 PM
Grand Member

Yeah, and some of 'em sure make a mess out of a nice plowed section of a field!

My gardens are about the same size as yours and I always fall plow and till in the spring. That way all the trash they gets turned under has a chance to compost somewhat during the fall, winter and early spring.
I always start on one side and throw the soil that way. You get more seat time also that way!!

Then next season I'll just do the opposite. That way you only have one furrow to deal with when done.
I always till in the spring and the and tiller then does a fine job of closing that last furrow.
All the clods, by that time have pretty well settled down and eroded to the point where tilling just a joy with the improved and smoother clod free surface on which to operate,
I only till what I plan to plant at that time.
Potatoes go in first, by just pushing them into the fresh till and then hilling them up. Works great for me!
Also, you'd be surprised how good the garden looks after following adhering to that regimen every season.
Your mileage may vary
Have fun!!
Old 02-26-2023, 06:51 PM

I plow down the center 1st, then I Plow the two outside furrows, Then Head Back to center and work my way out to those side Furrow I already plowed. Then I till, usually with a 42-inch Hydraulic tiller. Let it rest a day, then Plant

I plow and till In spring and Fall could Probably just till. But I grew up chisel plowing then running a disc in the spring and just chisel plowing in the fall. I just always sort of missed it. Mostly as an adult, I Just tilled Until about 21 years ago. Bought a Briny Plow in 1988 didn't use it for Gardening until 2002
Old 02-26-2023, 07:13 PM

Ok so plowed down the right 80’ side first, then turned left and traveled 40’ to the left side with the plow lifted, turned left, lowered the plow and plowed 80’. I repeated this process until it was done. Well, I tried…

When I was almost done, the garden looked like an hourglass of plowed soil. I’ve DEFINITELY got something out of whack. I made sure the plow didn’t wiggle right to left so the draft plate was tight. The very back of the plow was about an inch off my shop floor with both left side tires blocked up 5”. The plow is mounted as far to the right on my sleeve hitch as possible. Rear tires are 23x10.50-12, wider than factory. Fronts are 16x6.50-8, also wider than factory. I’ve tried to cover all the basics. I know I’m doing something wrong, I just haven’t figured it out yet…
Old 02-26-2023, 07:16 PM

I'm going to trying plowing for the first time ever this spring, which where I live is a good three months from now. The ground has been disc'd and tilled before but never to much depth.

I'll be using a CC 149 that has 23X10.5X12 Truepower ags. Is the flat wide tire profile going to be a problem?

Maybe us plow newbies will have to have "plow off" and submit video's for judging.

EDIT: While I was typing RoseHill posted his tire size so I'll wait for that.
Old 02-26-2023, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHillFarmIHCC125 View Post
Ok so plowed down the right 80’ side first, then turned left and traveled 40’ to the left side with the plow lifted, turned left, lowered the plow and plowed 80’. I repeated this process until it was done. Well, I tried…

When I was almost done, the garden looked like an hourglass of plowed soil. I’ve DEFINITELY got something out of whack. I made sure the plow didn’t wiggle right to left so the draft plate was tight. The very back of the plow was about an inch off my shop floor with both left side tires blocked up 5”. The plow is mounted as far to the right on my sleeve hitch as possible. Rear tires are 23x10.50-12, wider than factory. Fronts are 16x6.50-8, also wider than factory. I’ve tried to cover all the basics. I know I’m doing something wrong, I just haven’t figured it out yet…
It never going to Look Like a Warner Brothers or MGM Cartoon field there always a few furrow's out of wack Now are You going to till or disc ?
Old 02-27-2023, 05:57 AM

I’ll till it with my Troy Bilt now. I wish the previous owner didn’t put those wide tires on it. The inside of the right rear rubs the new furrow, that’s why I have to place the plow on the sleeve hitch off center (to the right). Oh well, it is what it is and I’ve already filled the rear tires with antifreeze. I use my Cub weekly anyway for other tasks around the mini-farm.