Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 11-27-2018, 08:53 PM

Default Echo PB-265L Leaf Blower (I know not a cub, but need some thoughts)

I have rebuilt, fixed etc many small engines, outboards and automobile engines. Fathers church has an Echo PB-265L back pack leaf blower and asked if I would take a look at it. They said they couldn't get it started. I said sure.

Blower is in really good shape, I have taken a first and what I consider very thorough stab at it and I am kind of scratching my head now.

Usually its the carb, looked it up and it was $16.00 for a new carb, air cleaner, fuel lines and fuel filter, so I bought that and just replaced it all.

1.) Confirmed I have spark
2.) Confirmed I have fuel to the cylinder
3.) Confirmed not sucking air
4.) Cleaned the Spark Arestor
5.) Compression test came in at 120, plenty to run
6.) When I replaced the carb, I drained the tank and added fresh fuel

Still NOTHING when you pull it over, its as if the kill switch was bad, BUT I have spark. I tested the switch and current moves through it, also confirmed spark when it is on and no spark when the kill switch is engaged.

I have no wire issues either. Maybe the spark is too weak? I shot some started fluid in the cylinder and it wont kick over.

I am at a complete loss with this one. Any recommendations or direction would be greatly appreciated. There honeslty isn't really much more I can do to it, it is pretty simplistic. I have attached the link to the manuals and parts catalog for those that are curious.

https://www.echo-usa.com/Support-Hel...20265L&c=en-us
Old 11-27-2018, 08:56 PM
Grand Member

Do you know FOR SURE the crankcase is not flooded with gas??
Old 11-27-2018, 09:01 PM
Grand Member

I know you said you cleaned the spark arrester but did you take the muffler off and check/clean the exhaust port out as it may be completely clogged with the coke/carbon and not be able to breathe out. Have had this a few times.
(2) Original, 100, 102, 124, 73, 800, #1 and #2 cart, brinly plows, disk, IH184, IH244, 1948 F Cub
Old 11-27-2018, 09:10 PM
Grand Member

Put in a NEW spark plug. Like was asked, you sure the crankcase isn't full of fuel? When you put in a new, dry plug--don't choke it or give any throttle, see if fuel gets on the plug. Also did you drain the tank? Dad retired from an Echo (among a little of everything else) dealer. They had everything in the world dumped in 2 cycle fuel tanks---straight gas, water, kerosene, diesel, brick acid. Yeah the brick acid is true--guy got pissed because he sucked so much in the engine it corroded it and they refused to fix it. He couldn't understand why.
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck
Old 11-27-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hall View Post
Put in a NEW spark plug. Like was asked, you sure the crankcase isn't full of fuel? When you put in a new, dry plug--don't choke it or give any throttle, see if fuel gets on the plug. Also did you drain the tank? Dad retired from an Echo (among a little of everything else) dealer. They had everything in the world dumped in 2 cycle fuel tanks---straight gas, water, kerosene, diesel, brick acid. Yeah the brick acid is true--guy got pissed because he sucked so much in the engine it corroded it and they refused to fix it. He couldn't understand why.
Yes, tank has been drained and I added the proper 50:1 mixed gas. I did put a new plug, also tried another new plug. Both were wet when I pulled them after trying to start it.

How would I determine the crank case is "full"? Pull the plug and turn it upside down or complete tear down? Assume complete tear down.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvy View Post
I know you said you cleaned the spark arrester but did you take the muffler off and check/clean the exhaust port out as it may be completely clogged with the coke/carbon and not be able to breathe out. Have had this a few times.
I did not pull the muffler, but can easily do that and try. I will get back to you on that one.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:26 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2140 View Post
Yes, tank has been drained and I added the proper 50:1 mixed gas. I did put a new plug, also tried another new plug. Both were wet when I pulled them after trying to start it.

How would I determine the crank case is "full"? Pull the plug and turn it upside down or complete tear down? Assume complete tear down.
Well, take the plug out and let it sit for a day, maybe turn the engine where the piston is at the top and sit it with the muffler down, it may run by the piston and out on the floor (may want to sit it in a catch pan).

Or, don't choke it or give it any throttle. Pull on the recoil a few times then see if the plug is wet. If it is, rotate out a dry plug. Continue doing this until the plug no longer gets wet, it cranks, your arm hurts too much, or you break the rope--I've personally done all 4.

Won't hurt to pull it several times with the plug out either to dry it out--leave the switch OFF so you don't ignite the vapors--got to be careful with them, you can ignite them by accident---that'll mess your shorts up!
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck
Old 11-27-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvy View Post
I removed the muffler, it is clear. No clog. But to the other comment below, I think the comment of a flooded crank case is correct. See the video.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hall View Post
Well, take the plug out and let it sit for a day, maybe turn the engine where the piston is at the top and sit it with the muffler down, it may run by the piston and out on the floor (may want to sit it in a catch pan).

Or, don't choke it or give it any throttle. Pull on the recoil a few times then see if the plug is wet. If it is, rotate out a dry plug. Continue doing this until the plug no longer gets wet, it cranks, your arm hurts too much, or you break the rope--I've personally done all 4.

Won't hurt to pull it several times with the plug out either to dry it out--leave the switch OFF so you don't ignite the vapors--got to be careful with them, you can ignite them by accident---that'll mess your shorts up!
John, Check out the video link and let me know your thoughts. I am pretty sure that thing is flooded.

https://youtu.be/PFn_PSXZyE0
Old 11-27-2018, 09:52 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2140 View Post
John, Check out the video link and let me know your thoughts. I am pretty sure that thing is flooded.

https://youtu.be/PFn_PSXZyE0
Got to be flooded. Unless you need it right away, leave the plug out, piston up and exhaust port down so maybe the fluid will drip out--and call it a day. When it looks dried out, don't choke or give throttle until you know the plug is staying dry.
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck