Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 07-28-2018, 07:54 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
I've never, ever balanced a mower blade after sharpening. The other day, I sharpened my blades. When I got done, I thought, "What the hevk, let's see how balanced they are.". So, I hung them on a screwdriver and set the blade horizontally. Never moved. Gave it a bit of a spin.... always just randomly stopped. Guess it isn't that hard to keep them "balanced".
With a good eye sharpening should not throw them out too bad. But altering the way the OP was could easily throw them out of balance.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:05 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
I just sharpened these today. Let me know if you figure out how to balance them.
Well. If they are symmetrical after your sharpening is done.I suppose you could weigh each one on a scale and get them to match in weight. Was your question rhetorical or sarcastic? Not sure if you were serious. I think you could have figured this out on your own based on very intelligent posts I have seen you write.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:26 PM

The mower they came off of is probably hefty and minor imbalance would not be noticeable.
I guess some people don't mind their mowers vibrating. When stuff vibrates things also tend to come loose and crack. I always check my blades for balance.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperino View Post
With a good eye sharpening should not throw them out too bad. But altering the way the OP was could easily throw them out of balance.
Oh, I suppose it could. But I don't think he had to take that much off of them. You really need to lighten up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperino View Post
Was your question rhetorical or sarcastic? Not sure if you were serious.
I promise, it was sarcastic and rhetorical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chzuck View Post
The mower they came off of is probably hefty and minor imbalance would not be noticeable.
I guess some people don't mind their mowers vibrating. When stuff vibrates things also tend to come loose and crack. I always check my blades for balance.
They are definitely Bush Hog blades. Only way you might notice a vibration is if you completely lost a blade. Then it might shake a little.

So, did you mow with this thing yet?? Are they any better? Still waiting to know. Been nearly two months since you set out to prove a different set of blades would make it better.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:24 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Oh, I suppose it could. But I don't think he had to take that much off of them. You really need to lighten up.

I promise, it was sarcastic and rhetorical.

They are definitely Bush Hog blades. Only way you might notice a vibration is if you completely lost a blade. Then it might shake a little.

So, did you mow with this thing yet?? Are they any better? Still waiting to know. Been nearly two months since you set out to prove a different set of blades would make it better.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah... I'm the one who needs to "lighten up" that's hysterical.

I know exactly what kind of blades iron man posted. I own several. He did not ask if you would feel them being out of balance. He asked how could you balance them. Was my response wrong?
Old 07-29-2018, 08:11 AM

I did not mow with them yet. Most likely next week will be the trial for them. I will post my thoughts after that.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:44 AM
Grand Member

J-mech vs Cooperino = Ford vs Chevy

IH vs John Deere
Kirk vs Picard
Hostess Twinkies vs Little Debbies Cloud Cakes
Ketchup on a hot dog vs No ketchup on a hot dog
Po tAAy to vs Po TAW to
Chicago style pizza vs New York style pizza
Underwear vs Commando

I could continue...................sorry OP

Queen Of The Quietlines!
Old 07-29-2018, 09:59 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaCub View Post
J-mech vs Cooperino = Ford vs Chevy

IH vs John Deere
Kirk vs Picard
Hostess Twinkies vs Little Debbies Cloud Cakes
Ketchup on a hot dog vs No ketchup on a hot dog
Po tAAy to vs Po TAW to
Chicago style pizza vs New York style pizza
Underwear vs Commando

I could continue...................sorry OP
LOL.. funny stuff

I have no problem with Jon. Historically, if you look at our posts I have been a supporter of Jon. He obviously has a lot to offer. He confuses me tho. He's typically very "by the book" . For instance, In this case we are talking about blades being balanced. I have not looked but I would bet money that this procedure is either in cub cadet tractor manual or in deck manual. He makes comments in an effort to try and make me look bad or something. Then he tells me to lighten up. I was not giving the OP a hard time. Neither Jon or I saw what the OP did to his blades. Neither one of knows how methodical the guy was with his grinder techniques. I was simply stating that after something like altering a blade it's probably not a bad idea to see how balanced they are. He looks for posts of mine and tries to make it a point to show people here that what I might be saying holds no merit. Unfortunately he constantly takes things out of context. In this case he compared a simple sharpening of a blade to altering a blade.

Oil and water we may be. But I don't have the kind of time on my hands that Jon must have to be able to hone in on posts and try to start feuds with people.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:13 PM
Grand Member

I ran across this pdf list of many mower blades.
Down at the bottom they are listed by length.
From there you can find different ones with whatever width, thickness, hole size, type you might be looking for.

https://www.performanceoutdoorproduc...016/Blades.pdf
Old 07-29-2018, 12:17 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
I ran across this pdf list of many mower blades.
Down at the bottom they are listed by length.
From there you can find different ones with whatever width, thickness, hole size, type you might be looking for.

https://www.performanceoutdoorproduc...016/Blades.pdf

Nice find!.. A quick scan through that PDF.. Looks like very reasonable pricing!