Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 06-23-2018, 01:19 PM

Default PTO issues

I had posted on Wayne's thread, not meaning to hijack it, so I thought I would create a new thread.

I depend on you experts here with helping out this greenhorn here on my PTO issue.

I was mowing my mother-in-law's large property yesterday and started smelling something like burnt clutch or breaks. There was a white puff of smoke coming from the front of my 128. I decided to disengage the PTO and it would not disengage. The blades kept turning under the mower, no matter what position I had the PTO handle in.

After the engine cooled off, I looked at the PTO assembly. I understand the basic premise of operation, yet I have no idea if anything I was looking at jumped out at me as the cause for the failure. I decided to take some pictures and show you guys to see if anything jumps out at you as the "smoking gun", pun intended. What should my next steps be?

Thanks in advance to the great members of this forum!

[EDIT]
The first picture is obviously with the pto lever cotter removed to allow the brake assembly forward.
The second picture is with pto lever disengaged
The third picture is pto lever engaged.
The last picture is a side shot, doesn't look like brake assembly is square with pto, is it supposed to be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3083.jpg (74.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3084.jpg (74.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3085.jpg (64.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3086.jpg (56.7 KB, 122 views)
Old 06-23-2018, 02:17 PM
Grand Member

With the brake set as it is in you picture #1, can you see or feel the thrust button as it is in this pic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thrust his.jpg (75.0 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg thrust faq.jpg (42.5 KB, 117 views)
Old 06-23-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
With the brake set as it is in you picture #1, can you see or feel the thrust button as it is in this pic?
Yes, I see the thrust button.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3088.jpg (52.1 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3089.jpg (66.9 KB, 109 views)
Old 06-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Banned

So, what have you done to diagnose this thing??
Have you checked the PTO lever adjustment?
Have you pulled the belt and checked the pulleys to see if any of the bearings are out of them?
We don't see anything either. Not really anything to look at on a PTO. All the components are internal and can't be seen. Can't see the spring, or the disk, or the levers.... so, not much to look at.

Check the rod adjustment and see if it is correct before you go jerking the PTO off.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
...before you go jerking the PTO off.
Stop it, I'm getting excited.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjardina View Post
Stop it, I'm getting excited.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:51 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Yes, I see the thrust button.
OK, it doesn't look that great but at least it's there. A new one looks like this....on to next step....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59982button.jpg (13.9 KB, 107 views)
Old 06-23-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
OK, it doesn't look that great but at least it's there. A new one looks like this....on to next step....
Thanks ironman.

I tried rotating the belt with pto enabled and disabled, no difference. Of course, the pto brake may be causing me issues? But the belt wants to rotate the engine no matter what position I have the pto lever.

I am looking for a rebuild kit for the front PTO. I have seen several on ebay, but none for a later brake pto; they are all older push pin rebuild kits. If I am going to tear this thing down, I am going to put it together right. I am sure it has never been touched since built in '73...

The brake pad on the pto looks pretty low too. I have seen replacement pads, but no instructions on how to replace. I am assuming scraping the remnants of the old pad off and jb welding the new on? I dunno, what have others done?
Old 06-23-2018, 07:19 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Thanks ironman.

I tried rotating the belt with pto enabled and disabled, no difference. Of course, the pto brake may be causing me issues? But the belt wants to rotate the engine no matter what position I have the pto lever.
To turn the PTO pulley, loosen the belt tension at the mule drive and take the belt off the PTO completely. It will be easier to make adjustments. Then set the handle to the disengage and see if the pulley moves. If not at first, try tightening your turnbuckle to see if anything changes.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:07 PM
Grand Member

Next let's look at the pivot screw/bolt that holds the brake shoe to the release arm. It is kinda cone shaped and sits in the bowl section of the brake shoe. We are concerned about the head as that is what presses on the thrust button when you disengage. If you can remove the nut and spring to get the shoe off of the release arm, take a look at the hole in the shoe that the pivot screw goes thru, make sure it is not all wallowed out. That could be why your shoe does not look perpendicular with the pulley. Pictures of new pivot screw and brake shoe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IH-59980-CS PTO BRAKE SCREW.jpg (16.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg ptobrakedisc.jpg (14.4 KB, 104 views)