Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 08-12-2016, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo185 View Post
Its a standard square bore intake. You can get adapters for square to GM TBI. Then bolt on TBI. GM actually made a adapter for spread bores as they had left over carb intakes for 454's when they swapped over to TBI on them so they made a factory adapter.

Then you have to modify the distributor for the magnetic pickup, add a electric fuel pump. And burn a chip for it.

The SV (304,345,392) Parts are pretty common for the motors as IH used them in the S line up threw the 80's so lots of parts for them. Pickup truck production ended in 1975 and Scout II's in 1980.

Actually NO. The 5 speed originally were built by Fuller in the 60's. IH acquired the design, tooling, etc. for the 5 speed from Fuller and moved the manufacturing to Fort Wayne, IN. The 5 speed went thru several design changes in the 20 or so years it was built by IH various ratio combos etc. The company also made its own drive axles for some applications which many mistake them for eatons when they are infact IH built. The IH transmission and axle business was sold to Dana / Spicer in the mid '80's. Dana continued to build the 5 speed for IH / Navistar trucks until the early '90's when it was discontinued.

IH did use B/W trans, but the 5 speeds were in house built.

It has a 12'' mechanical clutch.

It has 4.56 gears. The NP 205 is a divorced unit and is a single stick so high and low range. It was never used as a full time transfer case by IH. IH had there own chain drive single speed transfer case used in the trucks and Scouts.

Thanks for the schooling. While a long time tech, I'm not up on IH pickups.

I didn't know that the NP205 was divorced in them. So, you are still running the chain drive case for the front drive?

My mistake on the trans. I was almost certain it was a BW. I knew all the rest of the info about the sale to Dana.

As far as the clutch, 12" mechanical was kind of an assumption. Is the holding pressure standard? Is it dual friction? Button? Or just standard organic?

Very nice build indeed!
Old 08-12-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Thanks for the schooling. While a long time tech, I'm not up on IH pickups.
I done alot of research and there is alot of bad info out there that sorta makes its rounds as with anything online I guess.

If you like IH and Scouts this book is well worth it they just published its I know one of the CO-authers and he owns whats left of the light line parts, his dad actually worked for IH and ended up with alot of parts at the end of production in 80. https://www.amazon.com/International.../dp/1937747514

Supposedly he is working a pickup version. But its alot harder as the pickups are spead out over some many years and models.

Quote:
I didn't know that the NP205 was divorced in them. So, you are still running the chain drive case for the front drive?
The pickups all used a divorced NP205 build just for IH much like the Fords so its mount pattern is IH spec. but its a gear drive NP205 no chain in it.

Quote:

As far as the clutch, 12" mechanical was kind of an assumption. Is the holding pressure standard? Is it dual friction? Button? Or just standard organic?

Very nice build indeed!
Honestly not sure what clutch is in it, PO just said 12''.

Honestly the SV is so under powered that the 12'' holds it just fine. My 392 dyno'ed at 168hp and 278ft/lbs. Which is on par with the stock HP numbers listed 230hp and 350ft/lbs ruffly at the crank. Its not a bad motor and works has torque but its not modern engine by any means. But does get the job done and can run 70 with a load and merge in traffic just fine loaded.

The truck is getting a DT360 IH diesel at some point. Its basically a beefer counterpart to the Cummins 6BT. IH used it in the late 80's early 90's and had mech injection pumps and wet sleeves.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
The truck is getting a DT360 IH diesel at some point. Its basically a beefer counterpart to the Cummins 6BT. IH used it in the late 80's early 90's and had mech injection pumps and wet sleeves.

Now your getting into my realm.

I think you'd be happier with the Cummins. The IH DT360 was a good engine, but nothing like the bigger ones were (414-466). The Cummins really holds together well when you get up in the 250-300HP range, where as the DT360 just won't. They were kind of a dog. Even if you don't want a motor that hot, I'd still stick with the Cummins.

As far a beefier.... well, it definitely weighs more, but that's about it.

EDIT: I had an afterthought, if you want to stick with IH, you'll get more power and be a lot happier with a later Turbo 7.3. Those were really good motors.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Now your getting into my realm.

I think you'd be happier with the Cummins. The IH DT360 was a good engine, but nothing like the bigger ones were (414-466). The Cummins really holds together well when you get up in the 250-300HP range, where as the DT360 just won't. They were kind of a dog. Even if you don't want a motor that hot, I'd still stick with the Cummins.

As far a beefier.... well, it definitely weighs more, but that's about it.
Have you seen internals of 6BT vs DT360 right next to each other? The internals are good to well over 1000hp++.

I thought same thing, it being heavier and worthless, then seen the two together and DT is bigger internally, I got a pictures somewere have to find them. Attached is the DT360 in blue and 6BT next to it.

I think everyone gets caught up in the cummins craze and drinks the koolaid. Nothing wrong with a cummins its just like the cheby 350 of diesels everyone does it. The DT360 no one wants so they are not really wanted which makes prices low. I like it because it will make same power as cummins less inital cost and its an IH.

Stock like the 6BT they were gutless. They are designed to make a hp range over a given miles span, hence the low power ratings and this was 20+ years ago before the truck HP wars.

The DT360 will wake up just like the 6BT with same mods and handle 1000+hp easily. 400hp is pretty easy to make add more fuel and air just like a cummins. I never heard of a DT360 failing due to mods. Most people really don't know alot about them and most pullers just go right to the DT466.

Oh and IH cast some of the 6B blocks for cummins over the years BTW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dt360.jpg (30.2 KB, 75 views)
Old 08-13-2016, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Have you seen internals of 6BT vs DT360 right next to each other? The internals are good to well over 1000hp++.
LOL. Well. Just like you worked on jets for years, I've been a diesel tech for as long. (Unless you lied about your age in your profile, anyway.) Yes, I've seen the internals of (nearly) every IH engine (from the AG and HD side, but admittedly, not many gas V8's). All other diesels, I've been in them all. (I'm not going to list them.) Yeah.... I've seen the DT360's and the 6BT's apart..... many times.

While the DT360 was a decent motor, it wasn't a 466. Looked the same, but there were differences. I'm not a fan of them, and honestly, you won't sway me. That's a discussion for another forum.

I'd put a an IH DT466 against the 505 Cummins any day. But not a 360 to the 6BT. 360 is just too big and bulky to be efficient and competitive in any way against the 6BT, unless maybe in the boat anchor category, LOL. To me the comparison is similar to a 350 SB to a 366 BB. The 366 will just never achieve 350 greatness. It's just too BIG.

I digress.

Like I said, it's a great truck, and a beautiful build. Have fun and enjoy it whatever you do. I'm sure it will be what you wanted, and work fantastically!
Old 08-13-2016, 12:32 AM

I just like to be different from everyone else no biggie. I really wanted a 466 but it will not fit with out cutting the firewall just to long. Got a buddy that is swapping a 466 in his travelette. It will make around 1200hp. He cut the firewall. Its a full resto mod and looks great so far. Surprisingly the front springs didn't really sag to much granted time will tell.

Right now I am trying to figure what transmission to use for the DT. Really want to keep the manual leaning toward a ZF6 as there is adapters to use it behind a DT. Its a pretty good trans and shifts great. The T34 shifts like a dump truck. And I am afraid a MDT spicer would be the same way.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:55 AM
Banned

I wouldn't use a ZF. I like them, but so expensive to work on.

Take a look at the Mercedes 6sp that Chrysler uses, or look at the Eaton Fuller 5 and 6sp. I like the Fullers, but if you want something that shifts more like a car than a truck, I think you'll like the Mercedes. I'm sure there is an adapter to the round bell housing. If not, there is for the NV5600, which wasn't a bad trans at all.

I've had a CDL for nearly as long as as I've had a license. I like a truck, to shift like a truck. I'd go with a Fuller 5sp.

I'm just tossing stuff out there....
I HATE Spicer transmissions. Nothing shifts like a Fuller. Smoooooth.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:54 AM

Meeh everything is expensive to work on regarding these type of transmissions for the most part its not going to break with the intended use. I am just looking 400hp and around 700-800ft/lb the ZF will handle that just fine. And I don't beat on anything I own so it will last forever.

The NV5600 is #150 so heavier (not really a problem other than install lol) and has its own issues never really like it or the NV4500.

Main thing that has me leaning to ZF, is there is an adapter for it on the shelf, DT to ZF. Yeah I could build an adapter for way cheaper, but in the end the times savings is worth it to bolt it together. I have driven my buddies DT360 ZF5 swapped early 90's F250. Its was stock power so little under powered.

And I am sure I could using a SAE adapter for other trans or MDT trans, that would work as well. But time again having to run everything down clutch wise and adapter wise. Vs just calling and getting everything a ZF adapter clutch all over the phone and it shows up at the shop. That's one thing I have learned over the years doing all kinds of engine/trans swap is the nickle and dime stuff add up. Not to mention running all over the place to find parts etc. Time to me is more important than money at this point, granted that doesn't mean I am not frugal.

Only reason I mentioned the MDT trans is its bolt on, and prices are cheaper relative from what I have found locally. Can get it all in one with a donor etc. And they are strong.

But that goes back to the shifting like a truck. That's all fun and games but gets old after awhile. The intended use is for long trips some while towing around 10-12k. It makes it WAY more comfortable to just get in an shift. If I wanted to shift like a "truck" I would have bought a MDT like a loadstar or S-line, but the ride is horrible. And given my intended GVW the Travelette is fine and is diffidently a head turner. Ride is pretty good when loaded not as refined as a late model stuff but differently not like a MDT.

But honestly haven't really decided so I appreciate the input thanks. I think the key for me is getting what I want trans wise and not be disappointed or end up swapping to something else later. So might just end up driving some ZF6 truck IE Furds and compare to driving a MDT manuals. Been a while since I drove either honestly.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:01 AM

That travelette you have is amazing, tough truck for sure!
CCC 1863
Old 08-13-2016, 12:46 PM
Grand Member

Love the Travelette, never even heard of that model before now.
I bet there were not/are not too many of them.

My Dad had a 1973 or so 1/2ton in baby poo yellow.
I still remember we had to carry a ball peen hammer with us and tap on the carb once in a while. Must have had a sticky float or needle valve.