Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 11-30-2017, 08:43 PM

Default Cub cadet 1200 drive shaft problem - help!!

Anyone happen to have the measurement from the center of the rear flange hole to the end of the drive shaft?
Mine is 1 1/4", it should be shorter.

When running, does the driveshaft ride tight to the ball inside the flange?

I bought this shaft from Jensales. I decided to mount the engine solid and also took the ball out of the tranny input flange and mounted the drive shaft solid as well. After about 2 minutes of test driving, my feet were almost completely numb. Too much vibration for this guy!!

So, Im going back to the antivibe system. I put the ball back in the input shaft flange and was about to reinstall with the flex coupler but the drive shaft is too long. From the drive shaft flange to the flex disc is approximately 3/8" of open space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24208966_1682497055114889_284688836_o.jpg (16.5 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg 24201150_1682497015114893_451337639_o.jpg (19.3 KB, 210 views)
Old 11-30-2017, 08:54 PM
Grand Member

Sorry you're having problems but did you compare Jensales parts to the originals? Something is wrong if running it makes your feet numb so quickly.

Here's my parts thread with I originally posted in October of 2012
http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=20875

I make driveshafts and solid motor mounts for the cub enthusiasts plus a lot more. I've never had a "numbing" complaint with my parts.

Jeff
Old 11-30-2017, 09:07 PM
Grand Member

QuietLine drive lines have wear throughout the line! When updating this set up you must carefully examine every component. I found it is imperative to replace not only the drive shaft but the couplings, spirol pins, bearings and flex discs. Since you are installing new mounts have you performed the cradle mod? Have you examined the mounting surfaces on the oil pan to insure a solid fit? Pay close attention to the clutch release arm and the bracket it is mounted to. I would suggest replacing the three pin driver with an older version. Replace the clutch disc with older version and disregard the flex disc...they usually fatigue and crack. Replace the clutch release bearing too! Do it right..do it once! It gets expensive but repaired properly, it should give you many years of good, trouble free service.

Queen Of The Quietlines!
Old 11-30-2017, 09:24 PM

Most quietlines I've worked on had 2 flex couplers.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:56 PM

I put a clutch in my 1000 Feb 2016. See my thread here http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=43135

I sent my drveshaft to Jeff in PA and he made me a new one. He may have kept the measurements of the original shaft I sent. If he did he should be shoe to make you one too.

My tractor had one flex coupling. I put it back the way it was from the factory. The serisl number shows it was made in August if 1977. I hope this helps.

Bob
Old 11-30-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaCub View Post
QuietLine drive lines have wear throughout the line! When updating this set up you must carefully examine every component. I found it is imperative to replace not only the drive shaft but the couplings, spirol pins, bearings and flex discs. Since you are installing new mounts have you performed the cradle mod? Have you examined the mounting surfaces on the oil pan to insure a solid fit? Pay close attention to the clutch release arm and the bracket it is mounted to. I would suggest replacing the three pin driver with an older version. Replace the clutch disc with older version and disregard the flex disc...they usually fatigue and crack. Replace the clutch release bearing too! Do it right..do it once! It gets expensive but repaired properly, it should give you many years of good, trouble free service.
On the clutch, driveshaft is new and straight, clutch plates resurfaced, new clutch disc, new teaser, new spiral pins, new cup, new release arm, throwout bearing is good and reused the main spring. Also a new 3 pin driver and the bushing is new in the tranny input flange.

Im confident in the clutch, but I dont think the shaft is the right length. When I mounted it solid, the vibration was not from the driveline and the clutch was smooth.

Clutch operation made no difference in the vibration.
If there was no ball in the input flange, it would mount up just fine. It is the length that I explain in the orginal post.

Im 100% posititive that the vibration is coming from the solid mounted engine, which I am going away from. The motor runs well. This one is just not meant to be solid mounted.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcamp View Post
Most quietlines I've worked on had 2 flex couplers.
This one only had one flex coupler. Im pretty sure it was original, pretty worn out. The parts diagram for this mower and serial # only show one as well.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:15 PM
Grand Member

You can determine if the engine is cause of the vibration. Install engine but leave out the drive line. Start the tractor...you will have your answer.

Queen Of The Quietlines!
Old 11-30-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob95065 View Post
I put a clutch in my 1000 Feb 2016. See my thread here http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=43135

I sent my drveshaft to Jeff in PA and he made me a new one. He may have kept the measurements of the original shaft I sent. If he did he should be shoe to make you one too.

My tractor had one flex coupling. I put it back the way it was from the factory. The serisl number shows it was made in August if 1977. I hope this helps.

Bob
Your right Bob, they should have the same drive shaft. I do not have my orginal drive shaft. I wouldve bought mine from Jeff, but I found out about him too late ( I already ordered all my parts for the clutch). I did order my solid mount hardware from him, but not the mounts themselves. I ordered the mounts a long time ago, but couldnt find the hardware locally.

Im pretty sure my problem will be solved if I could find the accurate measurement I need.

I could add another flex coupler to fill the gap, but that would make the clutch side of the shaft too long and will push the drive plate against the 3 pin driver.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaCub View Post
You can determine if the engine is cause of the vibration. Install engine but leave out the drive line. Start the tractor...you will have your answer.
I will do this when my rubber mounts arrive. Thanks!