Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 09-07-2009, 10:05 PM

Default Front PTO - HOW in the heck?!

HOW do you get that thing off there?

I found two set screw holes about 90 degrees apart to attach the PTO to the engine shaft (one set screw is on the key?). No set screws in the holes.

Maybe the previous owner took them out, couldn't get it to budge, and left them out?? I've soaked the whole thing w/ PB Blaster, so I hope that helps a bit later.

I found two set screws in the clutch part, but I can't get one of them to budge, and the other seems to be stripped.

I can't get the screws off the front as there's nuts fruther up in there. Should I torch the heads off those screws for a bit of relief? Would that gain me anything?

Anybody got any good ideas? I'm close to firing up the cutting torch. I'm not sure where to start cutting though...

Thanks!

Jim
Old 09-07-2009, 10:32 PM

There's a total of 6 setscrews holding the clutch on...2 in each of the 3 holes. Patience, PB Blaster, and a good allen wrench are what it's going to take. If you're careful, you can drill into the setscrews and try to remove them with an EZ-out.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Grand Member

Leave the torch lead rolled up...

It sounds like you are trying to take the starter pulley and basket off before you take the PTO off.

As Matt G. said there are three (3) holes, each hole has two (2) set screws. Disengage the pto and turn it by hand so the set screw holes line up with the three (3) notches in the starter pulley basket. Take those screws out (all six of them 2 each hole) then wiggle the PTO off of the bearing and shaft.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the help gentlemen! I was able to get it off without any blue flame. I did have to drill out one set of setscrews as the PO had wallered the allen hole out. Also, one of the three holes was packed with mud and smoothed over - looked like there was no hole until I dug at it.

Wiggle it off the bearing? Not this one. I had to get a piece of 1/2" rod and alternately drive it off there, but it eventually came off.

Then, I got to the collar and bearing. Setscrew w/ locknut came out easily. I noticed the other hole, and it had a drift punch mark, so I walked it back and forth and left it in the middle. I still had to use a puller to get the bearing off, and it came off with a bang. It was very rusted on there. I had to pull the front cast iron hood support off to get to it with a puller. Man, that sucker is heavy!

Now I'm down to the main pulley with the basket from the clutch stuck to it. The setscrews are out, and weren't there when I got to them anyway. I'm not sure how I'm going to get that mother off there. I'm thinking I'll try to break it loose by driving it onto the shaft about 1/16" or so, and then pulling it off. I'm afraid of striking the end of the crankshaft like that though. Since I don't plan to put the clutch back on, I might remove the clutch basket and try to arc weld something onto it to help me pull it off. This might end up costing me a pulley, but that might be less expensive than a crankshaft.

I'm open to suggestions and success stories if anyone has them. It's soaking in P'Blaster right now.

Jim
Old 09-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Grand Member

If you are smart enough to use PB Blaster then you probably know all the other tricks about getting something like the pulley off of the crank. Cleaning and dressing the exposed part of the shaft and so on... If all else fails, I have had luck heating the collar part of the pulley/basket right beside the thin part where the key is, or you could drill a hole in the end of the key and thread... something into it (I would try tapping it to use something like an old electric motor bolt, being sure to get as many threads in it as possible), then use your slide hammer to tap it out once you have heated the same spot as mentioned before.

WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT PRY ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE PULLEY!!! If you do, you will hate yourself in the morning.

Good Luck
Old 09-11-2009, 09:56 AM

Thanks Sam!

How much does pulling the key out first gain me? Normally I pull the pulley and leave the key where it was. I appreciate your suggestion, and I'll give it a shot if I can drill & tap it. I have some dang 7018 welding rod that ALWAYS sticks whenever I try to weld with it. I should try that! With my luck, that would be the first thing it didn't stick to, and I'd end up welding the key to the shaft and the pulley!

I've got plenty of emery cloth and WD-40 to polish up the shaft, or at least the part I can see. If I can get it moving, I can get it off I think.

Jim
Old 09-11-2009, 12:48 PM

Default Stuck Pulley

I always go for the key first, if you get the key out. block the flywheel, to keep engine from turning, then see if you can get the pulley to rotate on crank. I have drill and tap the pulley and used a puller to get stubborn ones off.
I use a steering wheel puller, penetrating oil, and patience.
I use 5mm-0.80mm X 100mm Studs 5mm seems to be about the biggest size to use without getting to close to the sides of the pulley, If you are brave you can use a 12-24 machine thread. Good Luck
1 Drill and Tap.jpeg 2 Insert Studs.jpeg

3 Puller Installed.jpeg 4 Its Off.jpeg
Old 09-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Grand Member

Nice job cubcraig,

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who makes stuff up as I go.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:48 PM

GOT IT!!! Mission ACCOMPLISHED!!!

I drilled and tapped the key to #8-32. I found an old long stud and a nut and used the slide hammer to back the key out. I also used a piece of heavy pipe and a hammer to drive the pulley about 1/16" further on, so I knew it wasn't rust welded before I attempted pulling it.

Then, I used a 5/16-18 x 3/4 Gr. 5 bolt screwed into the non-keyed setscrew hole. I looped some heavy wire around that and pulled it with the slide hammer. Sounds a lot simpler than it really was. I broke a dozen pieces of wire, used 1/4 can of PB Blaster, used a lot of Mapp gas to heat her up, and didn't drink ANY beer (Saturday morning).

It's off and back on for a while. I'm very grateful for all the suggestions, warnings, and encouragement.

I didn't screw it up, and I didn't give up either. The key was heating the collar.