Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 03-01-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
This isn't an automotive engine. It is a splash lube, air cooled engine. The safest, best recommendation is to use at most, a heavy engine oil, like maybe a 15w-40. I suggest just using the oil you plan to run in it. That way you don't buy multiple oils.
I appreciate your input and I'm learning a lot reading your posts. Are you a small engine mechanic?
Old 03-01-2018, 01:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_K View Post
I appreciate your input and I'm learning a lot reading your posts. Are you a small engine mechanic?
I work on small engines.... so I guess so. But no, I'm a heavy duty guy. But I owned my own shop for years. Worked on small engines, through automotive and heavy equipment. Small engines is more of a hobby. Rebuilding a 4L80E GM trans today.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:02 PM

Default 149 rebuild

Thanks J-Mech for the quick and understandable response. I did buy the gauge that goes from .0015 to .040. It has many strips in the .003 to .008 range. Maybe more. It is down stairs and I am up stairs. To the others, I do have an old but good ring compressor and I am not a small engine mechanic and no I have never had a small engine apart, other than in the 60's and 70's I did have a few 2 stroke motorcycle dirt bike engines apart. Back then we had an engine bored by the motorcycle shop and they matched it to the new piston. Never questioned them. Probably should have but my brother and I were too eager to get the engine back together. Any thing that I learned back then was probably wrong and I can hardly remember any thing about it. A good thing.
J-Mech, I will try to check things per your specified instructions and diagram. I really appreciate all the good help and hope that you and others that are helping will not get tired of my posts before this engine comes to life. Have a great day.
Bob
Old 03-02-2018, 05:23 PM

Default 149 Rebuild

Did some work on the engine this morning. Checked the ring end gap and had to open both up a little. Pushed each ring in cyl. about half way down one at a time with piston. Both were too tight . Carefully filed rings and when finished, one was .014 the other was .015. Shop manual called for .010 to .020. Checked filed edges to remove any burrs. Put connecting rod on piston making sure the springs that go on each end were fully in their grooves. Oiled the shaft that goes through the rod well. Put rings on piston starting with oil ring first. Put in the oil spacer ring first, then a thin ring at bottom of spacer and second thin ring at top of spacer. Set ring end gaps at 180 degrees apart. Then installed the ring just above the oil rings. It is thinner than the top ring. Lastly installed the the top ring. All rings moved freely. Staggered the top two ring openings to 120 degrees apart. Oiled the rings pretty heavily, and put my ring compressor on the piston and put it well down below the rings. Tightened the compressor. Oiled the cyl. Aligned the piston so as the oil hole in rod cap would be facing the camshaft.Put oil on bottom end of rod and on the crank journal. Made sure that ring compressor was down square on top of cyl. Took rubber mallet and gently tapped piston down in cylinder as I held connecting rod to keep it from hitting the cyl. wall. Made sure the rod was properly aligned with the crank journal and tapped rest of the way down. Oiled the rod cap and installed. Torqued to 285 inch pounds. Had to convert to foot pounds as my small torque wrench only went to 200 inch pounds. I think the foot pounds was 23.6 but I am not sure. I have the number written down down stairs but computer is upstairs. Will try to do a little more tomorrow. One picture attached. Have a great day.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0692.jpg (24.7 KB, 123 views)
Old 03-02-2018, 05:29 PM
Banned

What was your piston clearance?
Old 03-02-2018, 07:49 PM

You have a ft/lb torque wrench that reads that low???
Old 03-02-2018, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge trucker View Post
You have a ft/lb torque wrench that reads that low???
I do. I have one that goes down to 5ftlbs.

I also have an inch pound that only goes up to like 50, and I also have a 3/4" drive that goes to 600ftlbs.

I have at least 4 torque wrenches....that I remember.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:20 AM

Default 149 rebuild

J-Mech, I slid a .005 ribbon in and slid the piston in. Very light resistance as I pulled out the ribbon. Slid in a .006 and then the piston. Using two fingers on the ribbon, had a pretty good resistance. Then checked it in four places as you stated. Had pretty much the same resistance at each point. Then tried a .007 ribbon and piston was a little hard to get in and ribbon had a lot harder pull to get out. I concluded the gap was .006. Thanks for your help and have a great day.
Bob
Old 03-03-2018, 12:14 PM

I think what you posted is very informative, I'm very sure J-mech knows what he's talking about!
Time to play on my Cub, thanks again for posting.
Kevin
Old 03-03-2018, 02:10 PM
Banned

Skirt clearance of .006-.007 is within spec. I like to see them tighter, but that is within spec.