Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 08-02-2020, 09:18 PM

Default XT1 Starting problems (new owner)

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to preface by saying thank you to anyone that may be able to help me.

Yesterday, I was gifted from my sister and her husband a Cub Cadet XT1 42 18hp mower. They purchased it a few years ago and only used it a handful of times, but never had any problems with it. Last September they had their first baby, and he was born early, and as a result my sister and BIL opted to have someone cut their grass since they didn’t have time anymore since my nephew was hospitalized for 4 months. That being said, the mower as a result has been sitting unused for about a year.

When I picked up the mower from my sister’s, she said the battery was dead and anticipated that putting a new one in should allow the mower to start right up.

Yesterday, I added some fresh gas and a brand new battery, and when I went to start the lawn mower up this morning (as it was too late in the evening yesterday to try), the mower will not start. I turn the key (and I have done all the steps to start the mower per the instructions on the unit), I can hear the motor trying to start but it never quite catches and turns over to complete start.

Today, thinking that the fuel filter might be gunked up, I removed it from the unit and cleaned it, and it appears to be in working order.
I changed the air filter, today as well. And still no matter what I try, I cannot seem to get the mower to start.

Any further suggestions on where to go from here would be very much appreciated as I am at a total loss!
Old 08-03-2020, 06:09 AM
Administrator

First, welcome to OCC.........

It sounds like your issue with the XT1 is a fuel problem. You may have to pull apart and clean the Carburetor.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 08-03-2020, 11:36 AM

Thank you for the kind welcome!

Okay - today I am working so I only had a few minutes to work on the mower before I had to start work. But here are the things I were able to get to before work:
New fuel filter
New Spark plug
Used gunk out spray on the carburetor
Also sprayed some starting fluid

After doing these things, I attempted to start the mower and it did catch and start for about 3 seconds before shutting off. When I tried to start it again, I noticed this message (see attached picture) on the display. And since I don't have a manual, I am not exactly sure what it means. It says "LO" followed by the message in the picture. I thought maybe it was battery, but that didn't make sense to me since I just replaced the battery.

Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5199.jpg (10.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 08-03-2020, 01:49 PM

I am guessing that says "lo batt" please check your connections at the battery and at the ground, the solenoid and the switch. I bet something came loose and looses connection when it starts vibrating -or- make sure the wires have not been gnawed on. anything that sits for an extended period of time makes a great home for mice - and the red, yellow, and orange insulation tastes the best!
XT1 may be new enough that your manuals are still at the cub site https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/operatorsmanuals
Old 08-03-2020, 08:32 PM
Grand Member

See Section 4, page 16.....

https://www.tractorsupply.com/static...16720_Man1.pdf

also as a shot in the dark, check your oil level.
Some tractors have oil pressure monitors and if the oil is low it will start but immediately shut down.