Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Resources > What is it worth ?

Notices

Old 11-04-2015, 02:57 PM

Looks nice. I'd go after it, if it was something I wanted.
Note: I always pay too much for stuff that doesn't run, so I'm not the one to ask if the price is right.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Grand Member

Cart looks good. Looks well cared for but still 5oo or less.
Maybe ask what the owner thinks or what happened to the engine

O,100,72,102,123,104,124,105
(2)2182s w/60in Habans
Old 11-04-2015, 03:22 PM
Grand Member

Priced a little on the high side, but the condition and the added cart really offset that IMO. Many, many instances of someone picking up a Cub like that, putting a battery and maybe a starter switch (whatever knocked it out of service to begin with), and getting the thing to roar back to a very useful life.

On these deals where I'm on the price fence, I usually ask myself for what dollar amount am I willing to miss the deal. Do I want to miss out on a clean 129 quibbling over a $100 bill and spend more time trolling Craigslist?

For me, no.

If the cart doesn't interest you much, sell it off as a collectible and recoup $200 right off the bat. I wouldn't use an original IH cart to do actual work with anyway. All this talk is subject to the used garden tractor market in your area. The folks out West would have already beat you to the punch on that machine. Folks in Pennsylvania .... big yawn.

Let us know what you wind up doing.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:36 PM

You wrote: "I don't have any plans to completely restore it."

From the pics, you wouldn't need to (at least from what we see). That Cub and cart are in great shape! It would just boil down to the mechanical issue.

Go talk to the guy and bring cash. Shoot him a fair offer and either be willing to walk away or pay him his asking price.

Nice Cub.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:33 PM
Grand Member

I'll disagree guys, that cart looks mint and the hubcaps are still on, I wouldn't have a problem selling the cart for $400, the tractor looks great also with a nice seat, it's worth it, but you can offer $500. My 0.2
Old 11-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Grand Member

That really is a nice looking machine and the cart looks great too.

It's true that a an old Cub Cadet can nickle and dime you to death, but the big question is still about the condition of the engine.

If you don't actually need the tractor for anything right now and are willing to put a few hundred dollars into it over time, it could be a pretty good deal, but if the engine needs to be rebuilt then you can figure a few hundred dollars more before you can really even use it, buying a non runner is always a crap-shoot.

All said, even if you have to rebuild the engine, can you buy a new tractor of this quality for the money that you'll have in it? I think not!

Welcome to Cuboholics anonymous!

From the pictures, I personally wouldn't have a problem buying that one non running. I would do my best to get the price down as far as I could though. I wouldn't feel bad about paying $400.00 for the tractor and the cart.

Do they give you any idea why it was taken out of service?

Just like SGragg said, go talk to them, ask what their bottom dollar is for a non running Cub, give them your top dollar offer and be willing to walk away.

Good Luck.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:46 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
That really is a nice looking machine and the cart looks great too.

It's true that a an old Cub Cadet can nickle and dime you to death, but the big question is still about the condition of the engine.

If you don't actually need the tractor for anything right now and are willing to put a few hundred dollars into it over time, it could be a pretty good deal, but if the engine needs to be rebuilt then you can figure a few hundred dollars more before you can really even use it, buying a non runner is always a crap-shoot.

All said, even if you have to rebuild the engine, can you buy a new tractor of this quality for the money that you'll have in it? I think not!

Welcome to Cuboholics anonymous!

From the pictures, I personally wouldn't have a problem buying that one non running. I would do my best to get the price down as far as I could though. I wouldn't feel bad about paying $400.00 for the tractor and the cart.

Do they give you any idea why it was taken out of service?

Just like SGragg said, go talk to them, ask what their bottom dollar is for a non running Cub, give them your top dollar offer and be willing to walk away.

Good Luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcadet View Post
I'll disagree guys, that cart looks mint and the hubcaps are still on, I wouldn't have a problem selling the cart for $400 My 0.2
Seems like the price on the cart is high Nick,it is what it is though.

What Sam said.
Hope you get it.Keep us informed of your purchase.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:00 PM

I don't know if it's running now but if not bring a compression gauge and make sure you have compression. It ll be low because of the arc but if you get 50 to 70 lbs you know the top end is ok and should run.

Ran when parked is an old saying before the piston came apart. It ran when we parked it because the piston let go. Just saying.

Looks to be in good shape though
Old 11-04-2015, 08:24 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkminion_17 View Post
Seems like the price on the cart is high Nick,it is what it is though.

What Sam said.
Hope you get it.Keep us informed of your purchase.
You charge the same prices though, my carts go for that easy, because I have sold one for that, enough said.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:40 PM
Grand Member

what he said