Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 04-29-2021, 07:45 PM

Default Compression Testing KT 17 IH 782

Good evening,

I purchased a Harbor Freight Compression Kit. I ran the engine for about 15 minutes. I removed the plugs. The left plug was hot and the right pug was "room temperature". I removed the air filter. I attached the compressing tester to the right plug hole and the compression did not register. The left cylinder register about 65 PSI. I tried to duplicate the testing but the compression test gauge failed to move each time. Compression test was a dry test.

For a little more information, see my 782 carb thread from last week.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Click on this link, and look at Page #13....... KT Service Manual

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 04-29-2021, 10:05 PM

Thank you very much!

I read the reference and then read about the engine disassembly to get to the internals. I am not sure I am good enough to do this as I am a greenhorn.

Tomorrow, I may talk to a small engine mechanic who may be able repair an older engine. I would really rather do the repair rather than contract it out. I think it would be fun.

Do you think a novice could o the repairs?
Old 04-29-2021, 10:07 PM
Grand Member

You should have about #90 both sides on a normal engine.
It appears you lost one cylinder.
I don't know what you mean by "DRY" test.
You should have had the throttle wide open when cranking, to get an accurate pressure reading, if you didn't.

On the dead cylinder side, put your finger in the plug hole and crank it over, can you feel any air moving at all?
if not, you prolly have a broken rod and the piston is not moving.
you can confirm this by removing the cylinder head.
If it is a KT series 1, it has died a common death, sorry to say.
If the rod is broken,there is no "fix"
A replacement engine is in order.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:35 PM
Grand Member

Ok,
I went back and found the carb question you posted.
It is possible you have a problem with the intake valve.
Either way removing the head will get you an answer.
A novice can easily remove the cyl head.
Just follow the service manual, and we can help if you get into difficulties.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:40 AM

Thank you.

I will give it a try.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:47 PM

As always, I really appreciate the great advice. The advice I have received on this site has helped me get the tractor running. Now this problem has shown up (as described in my thread about the 782 carb question).

I watched a YouTube video that showed how to do a compression test. The mechanic used the term dry test when testing the compression after the 10 to 15 minute warm-up. They followed up with a wet test where he poured a tablespoon of oil into the spark plug hole.

Quick question: I read through the engine disassembly section, after reading about the compression test. Do I need to remove the engine to remove the head and check the valve? Or to check valve clearances? Being a newbie at this, I am trying to learn and try to fix it.

I have looked for several years to find a good small engine mechanic for this old engine but have not found anyone interested in working on it.

Thank you for the advice.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaison View Post
As always, I really appreciate the great advice. The advice I have received on this site has helped me get the tractor running. Now this problem has shown up (as described in my thread about the 782 carb question.

I watched a YouTube video that showed how to do a compression test. The mechanic used the term dry test when testing the compression after the 10 to 15 minute warm-up. THe followed up with a wet test where he poured a tablespoon of oil into the spark plug hole.

Quick question: I read through the engine diassembly section after reading about the compression test. Do I need to remove the engine to remove the head and check the valve? Or to check valve clearances? Being a newbie at this, I am trying to learn and try to fix it.

I have looked for several years to find a good small engine mechanic for this old engine but have not found anyone interested in working on it.

Thank you for the advice.
Nope, you can remove the head as well as remove the valve cover (to check valve clearance) with the engine still in the tractor.

You are well on your way to being your own small engine mechanic
Old 05-02-2021, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I believe I have the 782 fixed. The problem is a little embarrassing but here is the story. Several weeks ago, I noticed the 4 screws that mounts the air filter to the carb elbow were missing. I removed the carb and checked it for the screws. I figured I had removed them and lost them as I was working on the throttle. I also ran a magnet through the intake manifold as a caution. Today, I removed the heads and found 2 screws in the right valve and two screws in the left valve. Evidently the 4 screws traveled through the carb and intake manifold into the valves. I removed the screws and replaced the heads and tested. I have compression and the motor sounds good. I still need to finish installing the panels.

Thanks for the advice. Y'all gave me confidence to tinker and try to fix the motor.

Next project is to find a new PTO pulley for the mower deck. Then, repair the mower deck. The pulleys appear to be frozen. The PTO deck pulley is rusted out.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:11 PM

Don't sound right but if screws passed through carb to engine than you are screwed.