Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 03-19-2021, 01:25 PM

^^^ ahhh, the modern "perma lube never needs changing" design.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:36 PM
Grand Member

Well, you CAN change the fluid, but it's a little more work than popping a cover.
And when the operation gets to the point that if you are wondering if a fluid change would help.....
it's already too late.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
LT 1045 is a belt drive MTD built lawn tractor with a HydroGear transaxle.
There are no covers to pop and you can't check the fluid.

Well, spit. Wish I knew this before. I didn't give much for it, so if I can put a used hydro in it, I'll be ok.

Will work on it later today and get some more info.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:59 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmirror View Post
Oops, one has nothing to do with the other. The starter motor was a different discrete failure mode. I just worked on that so I can get the engine to crank.

I'm much more concerned about the rear end locked up. I'll be working on that a bit today, but I have a Cessna I'm going to fix as well. Will update as I go along.

It appears this unit has not had much/any maintenance during its life. Hoping if I can get the hydro unstuck it will move under its own power next week.

Would like to get a schematic of the wiring if anyone knows where that can be downloaded?
I hope you have better luck with your Cessna, I'd hate to hear you crashed it
on it's first flight!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2021, 08:23 AM

Many YouTube airplane flying videos. As a warning, don't go down that rabbet hole or you may be watching airplane videos all afternoon.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:01 PM

Well, it's the good news, good news, bad news on the mower.

I was able to get under there and look at things. The belt looks original from 2007, and it's completely shot. So, I cut it, and now the hydro will spin ok.

Other good news is I found a spare hydro for a couple bucks going to pick it up tonite. The deck belt is also junk, as are the blades.

The Cessna is a long term project. Wings are off, and we're rebuilding the fuel system right now. After that, the control cables, and then we'll have the wings on and give it a go.

I have some pics on my phone but not able to pull them off right now. Maybe tonite.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:57 PM

OK, I'm looking better. The belt is in stock at TSC. Will have the drive belt and blades ordered through our vendor here, and start putting together next week. not so bad, just hope the engine will run right. Lot of cleaning still.

It's the usual rule of comparative neglect. Maybe $350 all-in and I'll have something I can sell for $600-ish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cub cadet belt.jpg (25.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 03-22-2021, 12:41 AM

Check the brake disk, it's 3" or so disk on the side of the trans, the brake shoes like to stick to the disk if left on. There is a 9/16" nut that holds it together, if the wheels won't turn that is most likely your problem.
I've bought several LT'S for cheap because they needed trans and it was just the brake being stuck.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:30 PM

Yeah, the brake disk was stuck to the pucks. Frozen. It's free now.

Bonus, I just picked up a working hydro unit for $60. Guy says it's working fine. So, I either have the one I need, or I have a spare to sell with mower.

I still have cleaning to finish and get the motor running. Will be later next week, as I have parts coming in soon.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:32 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
The fan may not want to move because the pulleys and idlers for the drive belt are not free enough to let it turn. The drive belt loosens when the brake is locked down.
Concerning it not rolling, the brake is an external disc on the outside of the transmission. I would check to see that it is not locked up due to rust and corrosion.
Quote:
I was able to get under there and look at things. The belt looks original from 2007, and it's completely shot. So, I cut it, and now the hydro will spin ok.
Quote:
Yeah, the brake disk was stuck to the pucks. Frozen. It's free now.
You're welcome!