Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 11-14-2021, 04:35 PM

Default LTX 1045 Transmission Leak

Hello all, my first post here. I have 2 cub cadet's both LTX 1045's. The first one I bought runs fine with no issues, I bought the second one for parts for the first one if needed, but the first one runs fine with no issues, so I'm going to sell the 2nd one.

The second one has a slow drip/leak coming from the transmission. The leak looks to be coming from the black seal around the shaft that is connected to the hand lever that runs out the back of the mower. Can I replace the leaky oil seal around the shaft, or are these transmissions unfixable? There is a large round metal plate blocking access to the leaky seal. I don't see an easy way to remove that plate to get to the leaky seal.

I cleaned the transmission and let it sit overnight. The next day I was able to see where the leak is coming from. I was going to post a few pics, but it's not easy to post pics on this forum. Being the cub cadet is up for sale, I would like it to not leak. Are there any quick fixes for this leak? Also, I was wondering what oil to put in the transmission? I think the fill hole is on top of the transmission under the seat below the battery box. Maybe a catch pan under the leak may be the answer. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:45 PM

Serial # is 1A281H20089.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:36 AM
Administrator

First, welcome to OCC.......

I have no knowledge on that model of tractor. Hopefully, someone with some experience with this model, will chime in.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 11-15-2021, 02:53 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZCUB View Post
Hello all, my first post here. I have 2 cub cadet's both LTX 1045's. The first one I bought runs fine with no issues, I bought the second one for parts for the first one if needed, but the first one runs fine with no issues, so I'm going to sell the 2nd one.

The second one has a slow drip/leak coming from the transmission. The leak looks to be coming from the black seal around the shaft that is connected to the hand lever that runs out the back of the mower. Can I replace the leaky oil seal around the shaft, or are these transmissions unfixable? There is a large round metal plate blocking access to the leaky seal. I don't see an easy way to remove that plate to get to the leaky seal.

I cleaned the transmission and let it sit overnight. The next day I was able to see where the leak is coming from. I was going to post a few pics, but it's not easy to post pics on this forum. Being the cub cadet is up for sale, I would like it to not leak. Are there any quick fixes for this leak? Also, I was wondering what oil to put in the transmission? I think the fill hole is on top of the transmission under the seat below the battery box. Maybe a catch pan under the leak may be the answer. Thanks in advance.
Your description of "a shaft connected to the hand lever that runs out of the back of the mower with a large round metal plate blocking access" leaves a lot to be desired.
If you have pictures, figure out how to post them. There are probably a couple million pictures posted on this forum. If other people can do it so can you.
I will add that almost nothing can be done on these transmissions without removing them from the tractor. The oil used is 20w-50 engine oil.
Here is a link to the Service Manual which may help you, see page 18 for seal replacement.
https://www.sauerbibus.de/fileadmin/...air_Manual.pdf
Old 11-15-2021, 09:28 PM

Default pics

I was able to find a seal kit on amazon for $23. Looks like the transmission is serviceable. Thanks for the help...!cubb (1).jpg

cubb (2).jpg

cubb (3).jpg

cub (21) clean.jpg
Old 11-15-2021, 09:30 PM

Default leak

Pic of the leaky seal...

cub (10) leak.jpg
Old 11-16-2021, 08:54 AM
Grand Member

That would be the bypass rod seal. It is 1" o.d. by 5/8" i.d. by 1/4" thick. If you don't need the whole kit you should be able to find one easily.
The large round metal disk is the brake disc. Slides right off when you remove the caliper assembly.

Here's a link to a service manual that may help you.
Pages 39 and on will give you an idea what you're looking at.
https://www.ccpartsnmore.com/uploade...%202008%29.pdf
Old 11-16-2021, 09:45 AM
Grand Member

It looks like the lever on that shaft, is retained with a spring washer with
fingerers, if so, pry it off carefully using a pick taking care not to damage it otherwise you will need a new one.
Then after you remove the brake rotor as Iron Man suggests, it is just a matter of removing the seal and replacing it.
All that said, since that shaft is not turning constantly to actually wear the seal out, you might try to carefully see if something got wrapped around the shaft causing the seal to not contact the shaft allowing it to leak.
It is a long shot, but costs nothing to look, sometimes, something of the consistency/thickness of a credit card cut to fit slipped into the seal lip around the shaft dislodging a foreign piece might bring joy.
I have used a paper clip with small nose vice grips, don't use the sharp end use the paper clip in a "U" shape to see if something is under the seal lip.
Again, a long shot but you have nothing to loose. except a few minutes of time.
I would not use additive like stop leak/ seal sweller , as it does not play nicely with internal "O" rings and seals in the long term.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:52 PM

Default repairs...

I ordered a seal kit and 4 deck wheels from amazon. Welded up a few cracks in the poor neglected/abused deck. I was able to remove the old seal, ended up screwing a long screw into it and pulling it out.

cub x (3).jpg

cub x (4).jpg
Old 11-19-2021, 07:57 PM

Default repairs....

Replaced the spindle bearings and cleaned up the old stub axles/busnings/nuts.

cub x (51).jpg

cub x (52).jpg

cub x (43).jpg

cub x (44).jpg