Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Rear Engine Rider & ZTR (RER)

Notices

Old 09-19-2021, 11:25 AM

Default RZT SX 42 Ignition problem

I’ve run into a big problem with my Zero Turn RZT SX 42. Purchased in May of 2018 and it’s been flawless until 3 weeks ago. While riding thru the yard with the PTO (blades) off, the mower just plain stalled. I had been riding around that morning and all was fine.
After checking gas and oil, I hit the ignition button to restart. It turned over fine but no ignition. The battery is fairly new and fully charged.
Being fuel injected and the location where the mower stalled on my property, I bit the bullet and called the dealer. They picked it up and after a few days, they determined there was no spark and after phone discussion with cub cadet service pro’s, they felt the ignition coil was the problem. Of course, this twin cylinder engine has two coils, one for each injector. They told me they have to replace them both as they work in conjunction with each other (sounds like BS to me).
Those coils are ridiculously priced at over 100.00 each and here’s the kicker…they can’t get any before Oct 26th at the earliest!
This time of year, I need that mower. Does anybody know of an aftermarket ignition coil that would be compatible? I’ve been looking with no luck.
Mower Model# - 17RWCBYS010
Serial# - 1A238H10264
Ignition Coil # 951-15387

Old 09-20-2021, 02:45 PM

This morning I called Cub Cadet national service dept and discussed the problem with them. I was told that these coils have failed so often that a shortage was created. The pandemic is also causing delays in manufacturing more coils.
Also, there is no coil that they can replace it with. It’s unique to the fuel injection system on the 679cc Engine.
They also told me that I may not see that part for 6 months and they were very sorry!

The local Cub dealer who I bought it from offered me a courtesy rider at no cost till they get it fixed even though it’s out of warranty. So, I’ll just have to wait it out. Will update when fixed.

Very frustrating being just a couple months out of warranty and rather lightly used.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:04 PM
Grand Member

Really sorry for your problems.
Todays world is like nothing I have ever seen, or could have predicted.
A lot of us here have older stuff that has been running over 40 years.
Built tough and easily fixed with no fool injection or 'lectronics.
It is sad indeed.
We have vehicle manufacture's that are building cars/trucks without pooter chips and parking them in huge lots as you prolly know.
When they get the parts next year, the vehicles will be a year old model.
Crazy.
My dad used to speak of the second world war, things were rationed or just not available.
Glad you posted back and the dealer gave you something to mow yer lawn with other than a goat on a rope.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Default Coil

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4169 View Post
I’ve run into a big problem with my Zero Turn RZT SX 42. Purchased in May of 2018 and it’s been flawless until 3 weeks ago. While riding thru the yard with the PTO (blades) off, the mower just plain stalled. I had been riding around that morning and all was fine.
After checking gas and oil, I hit the ignition button to restart. It turned over fine but no ignition. The battery is fairly new and fully charged.
Being fuel injected and the location where the mower stalled on my property, I bit the bullet and called the dealer. They picked it up and after a few days, they determined there was no spark and after phone discussion with cub cadet service pro’s, they felt the ignition coil was the problem. Of course, this twin cylinder engine has two coils, one for each injector. They told me they have to replace them both as they work in conjunction with each other (sounds like BS to me).
Those coils are ridiculously priced at over 100.00 each and here’s the kicker…they can’t get any before Oct 26th at the earliest!
This time of year, I need that mower. Does anybody know of an aftermarket ignition coil that would be compatible? I’ve been looking with no luck.
Mower Model# - 17RWCBYS010
Serial# - 1A238H10264
Ignition Coil # 951-15387

Go to Messicks, buy the coil, they will ship today, give it to your dealer and be happy. ;-)

https://www.messicks.com/part/951-15...nition-coil-as
Old 09-22-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
Go to Messicks, buy the coil, they will ship today, give it to your dealer and be happy. ;-)

https://www.messicks.com/part/951-15...nition-coil-as
Thanks for the reply. I check the web site and they did show 2 in inventory. I then called to verify and unfortunately, web site was incorrect. They have none in stock and can't get any just like everyone else.

Appreciate the help, anyway.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:04 PM

Update:
I got my mower back yesterday after being in the Cub Dealer’s shop for 3 months.
Initially it was thought to be a coil problem. Turned out to be the hour meter/starter switch and related trigger assembly that was killing the spark. These parts were on back order for three months.
All in all, I’m glad to have it back. My property is rather hilly and wet in spots and my Cub Zero Turn never spins a tire, ever. The loaner they gave me (no charge) got stuck half a dozen times and didn’t have the traction to go up even slight inclines when damp plus I was close to tipping it over a couple of times.
Too bad the sophisticated electronics are the week link in these newer fuel infected Cub mowers but I must say, it does run around my property like a mountain goat...when it's working!
Old 12-12-2021, 07:29 AM
Grand Member

Thank you for the reply/update, it will help others with a similar problem.
Have a happy holiday.