Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 03-08-2018, 10:09 PM

Default Carb flooding on my 128 w/ a K301

I am having flooding issues. I guess that is pretty common, as I have searched on here for solutions. I have tried adding a little marvel mystery oil to the gas. This worked for my Farmall Cub and Super A when I had the same issue. No luck this time. The carb floods like the needle and seat are bad, or there is trash under it. I bought a new oem kohler needle and seat as well as a float. It still floods. I have a see through filter before the carb. I have the float adjusted per the instructions that came with it. I don't see any trash. Against my better judgement, I bought one of those cheapo $25 carbs off ebay. It floods worse than the old stocker! Doe anyone have any suggestions? Im afraid to buy an OEM $150-$200, for fear it will flood too...

Also, when it is running, it only wants to run fast, as if the governor is fouled up. I can disconnect it and run the throttle by hand and it will run slower. I cannot adjust the threaded rod from the governor out any more to slow it down.???
Old 03-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Grand Member

The float probably needs set. Procedure is in the manual.
1211 Dual Stick
Pap's 100 restoration thread - http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47965
Old 03-08-2018, 10:36 PM
Grand Member

Check the float in the carburetor to see if it has gas in it. They do get holes in them.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:52 PM
Grand Member

If you know what you are doing......then you just could be have bad luck. You've replace needle and float. Then you got a new cheapie carb. And it still leaks!?! I'd go back to old carb and try again. Just take it apart and verify if everything is clean and where it should be.
#2 Cart
QA36 snowthower
Old 03-08-2018, 10:54 PM
Banned

I posted in your other thread. Here's a copy:

Carbs are pretty simple to fix. Has to be one of the things you mentioned. Dirt in the needle valve, or float not set right. You state it must be a common issue.... yes, it's common for a fuel system to have issues that hasn't been used. Yes, more and more people seem not to be able to solve simple issues like this anymore. I'll just say, it's not the machines fault.

Pull the tank, drain and clean it, install new fuel lines, clean the carb, set the float. Just fix it.

Go download the K series service manual and reset the governor and adjust the throttle linkage. If that doesn't fix the overspeed, then the governor gear is likely in pieces in the oil pan. You should be able to watch it while running and see if the governor is trying to do its job. A Cub Cadet is just like an F Cub, only smaller. Pretty easy machines.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds45512 View Post
The float probably needs set. Procedure is in the manual.
"I have the float adjusted per the instructions that came with it."
Old 03-09-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkminion_17 View Post
Check the float in the carburetor to see if it has gas in it. They do get holes in them.
I bought a new oem kohler float for "just in case, as I was ordering the carb kit and didn't want to wait until I had time to take the carb apart and check the float. I didn't check the new float for leaks, but I guess I will check both of them (old and new).

I did not soak the carb in my carb cleaner bucket, but I think I will do that next. I also have some tip cleaners for my torch. I will run those through it as well.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:51 AM

I have a question regarding the fitting that holds the bowl on. I wonder if it has anything to do with my trouble. THe center of mine had a rod with a point on the end and a "T" handle. This was rusted off. The new cheapo carb doesn't have this. I didn't figure that this would have any influence on the carb flooding, but...
Old 03-09-2018, 07:56 AM

I see that there was a carb rebuild "How To" in the FAQ section, but the link is no good. Any advice on getting to it?
Old 03-09-2018, 08:09 AM
Grand Member

The carb bowl nut with a "T" handle sounds to me like the main jet adjustment, and without the ability to adjust this, you will not be able to get it to run properly.
As far as flooding, the china clones do have positive reviews from some users here.
I'd be more suspective of a small piece of rubber fuel hose or a hair or two under the needle seat, it happens quite often.
Flooding is caused by the needle not seating, for various reasons.
You need to investigate why.
As far as your old carb I'm not familar with your model, but I don't think the bowl nut jet adjustment was origional but not sure.
I'm sure others more familar will reply.
Did you set the float level properly, according to the manual?