Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 AM

Default Going to look at an Original

Any particular gremlins to look for? I already own a 1440, and I'm a mechanic by trade, so I should be able to spot the obvious (I think anyway).

Is there anything particular to these models that I need to look out for? It comes with the mower, and the guy says it's all there.

Thanks for the help!

Rick
Old 09-22-2009, 08:59 AM

im new to cubs, but have been collecting the red horsey tractors for many years. i picked up my first cub, an original, a couple weeks ago. been sitting outside for years. this is without a doubt to most simple tractor i have ever worked on. had it running after a few hours work, carb o-haul, points, stuck exhaust valve, etc.etc. it would be nice if the original oil bath air cleaner is there. lay down and get a good look at the clutch assembly. rear fenders and a creeper would be nice, mine has neither. watch for frame cracks. see what the diff oil looks like. steering play can get a little pricey. very straightforward little tractor, and a pleasure to work on. the folks on this forum can tell you a lot more than i can. very helpfull guys on this board!
have fun
Dave
Old 09-22-2009, 10:14 AM

From my short experience, the weak link in the transmission is the 1st/reverse 13 tooth slider gear. If I were going to look at one I would definately lift one rear tire, put it in either 1st or reverse, push the clutch in and roll the wheel to feel the gears.

They are GREAT little tractors!!

It's so nice out.....I think I will leave it out!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:31 AM

One I looked at recently had a tecumseh snowblower motor (pull start!) grafted in. Nobody thought to check the rotation onthe motor, now it is an original with three reverse speeds and one forward! It did have a creeper tho.
Quietlines and narrow frames, mostly projects but I mow with a 1200 and have a 122 set up for pulls. Wandering the country bringing towers to wind farms everywhere, and bringing yellow stuff home to Texas. Also into flatfender jeeps.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Inactive Member

If you want it to be complete, the expenasive things to look for are the hood ornament, the grille ornament, and the oil bath air cleaner. Those 3 parts can set you back a pretty penny if it doesn't have them. Also the frames tend to break where it bolts to the rearend. Oh yeah, the seat pan is another to look for. When a good one comes up for sale, they usually sell for around $75 - $100. The lift, fenders, and creeper were all options and nice to have. If it has any of the options, it could significatly raise the value.

AJ
1979 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]682- Mag18, Sleeve Hitch, Spring Assist, #1 Tiller
1980 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]782- Mag18, Sleeve Hitch
1983 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]982- Stock, Fully Optioned
Old 09-22-2009, 04:06 PM

AJ, what do you think a good engine would run if I bought the backwards one and wanted to replace it with the correct Kohler...?? I can get it for $100 and it has a creeper with an aluminum handle...
Quietlines and narrow frames, mostly projects but I mow with a 1200 and have a 122 set up for pulls. Wandering the country bringing towers to wind farms everywhere, and bringing yellow stuff home to Texas. Also into flatfender jeeps.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:12 PM

Thanks all for the replies! I need this like a hole in my head, but they sure are cool looking!
Old 09-23-2009, 01:29 PM

Default Went to look at the Original

For those of you still kind enough to be interested, I looked at the Original today, and it appears to be in pretty good shape. The hood has a rust spot a few inches across, but is not heavily pitted (a glaze of body putty would clean it up), but the hood overall is straight and unwrinkled. The seat is shot, but the battery box looks good. I did not run it, but it shifted through the gears just fine. I did not see any cracks where the frame joins the rear end. The grill was straight. Also, it did not have fenders.

The mower was another story. It appeared to be all there, but the underside was heavily pitted, and several holes were eaten through on the front, and along the back curves. The hardware was all in good shape however.

The guy wants what I think to be top dollar for it all, but I'm wondering what kind of money I'd be looking at to fix/ replace the deck, fit some new tires, buy gaskets for everything, and replace/ rebuild the clutch? I am not a purist, but I would like to respect the machine, and make it as new looking as possible. So I’ll do a fairly complete teardown, and rebuild.

Any rules of thumb for costs?
Old 09-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Inactive Member

Truckntran the creeper alone is worth more than $100. You would be a fool not to buy that tractor. As for a engine, I have no clue what a good running one would sell for. I've never looked to buy a k161.

Rickbaro a good deck shell is getting very difficult to find these days, so...... but just top let you know of prices, when I bought my original, I paid $115 on ebay. It was adjertised not to run, the wrong hood, and the wrong seat. I ended up bring it home and putting a rebuild kit in the carb and mowing grass with it that same day. If it has the hood ornament, the grille ornament, and the oil bath air cleaner, I would say it should sell for around $150 to $200. Give or take a little. if it's in great condition, it would probably sell for $250+.

AJ
1979 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]682- Mag18, Sleeve Hitch, Spring Assist, #1 Tiller
1980 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]782- Mag18, Sleeve Hitch
1983 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]982- Stock, Fully Optioned
Old 09-23-2009, 02:48 PM

what kind of money is he asking for it? in just the last week or so, ive seen several for sale. none have been over 300.00 in decent running condition. if the deck is rusted out, i would say it should be under 200. remember, an original seat will run 50 - 100 to replace.
Dave