Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Customized Cub Cadets

Notices

Old 03-22-2021, 11:53 PM
Grand Member

Default Mini Dozer Idea Factory (potential build)

Moving the extant discussion from the mini motor grader thread. The last couple discussions were how to arrange two cub axles to drive them from a single engine when the engine is between the two axles.

I have some ideas for building a mini dozer as a follow on to my motor grader. I have no clue how the few that have been done were built, so I'm ideating from scratch.

(I learned that word, "ideating" from a management training course some years ago. Never had a use for it until now, LOL.)

I'll post some drawings in a few days of what I'm thinking. Would welcome any feedback or suggestions. Actual build won't be until next Winter probably. Boating season is about to start!
Old 03-23-2021, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustdad View Post
Moving the extant discussion from the mini motor grader thread. The last couple discussions were how to arrange two cub axles to drive them from a single engine when the engine is between the two axles.
Cool, can't wait to see that.
Off the top of my head,
no real "think it out"
but some sort of transfer case (homemade chain/gear, carrier bearing set-up),
or from an old (dare I say it) Suzuki 4X4. Some of the very early
ones were 2-strokes and then they went to 3 cylinders IIRC.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:55 AM

The easiest may be to set it up just like your grader, just with the axles farther apart. Set the engine PTO clutch over top the front axle input and belt drive down. Easy starting. Reverse and forward speeds would remain the same with no mods to the swash plates. I would consider a HP rated centrifugal clutch to replace the original for simplicity and options on belt sizes and dual pulleys.

Would you idle the opposite axles (front left, rear right say) and lock the crown/carrier gear to one axle per end?

Some of your best ideas will pop into your head while fishing. Carry a pencil and pad!
Old 03-23-2021, 11:31 AM

Maybe start at the other end of the system, and work backward:

https://www.gccpd.com/product.asp?it...IaAkEFEALw_wcB

Begin with the snowthrower or implement tracks. Find the proper rear drive hub, and idler hub, and tension arm hub. Then one only needs to drive the rear hub with the takeup tensioner arm hub on top of the track. No need to drive both axles on a tracked drive setup(although some do, it's not really needed).

If the front hubs can be on spindles, they don't even need to be on a through axle. Will allow the front driveshaft to mate to the PTO with a UJ.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:26 PM

Sure would be nice to use an old drive system from a zero turn mower. Just mount it all in a Cub Cadet frame of your choosing. Each track will have its own wheel motor. Build your track system and done!
Old 03-24-2021, 06:38 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
The easiest may be to set it up just like your grader, just with the axles farther apart. Set the engine PTO clutch over top the front axle input and belt drive down. Easy starting. Reverse and forward speeds would remain the same with no mods to the swash plates. I would consider a HP rated centrifugal clutch to replace the original for simplicity and options on belt sizes and dual pulleys.

Would you idle the opposite axles (front left, rear right say) and lock the crown/carrier gear to one axle per end?

Some of your best ideas will pop into your head while fishing. Carry a pencil and pad!
Yes, I would idle diagonally opposite axles.

To retain the look of a cub with tracks, I need to keep the engine down low, with crank in line with the hydro inputs, each side of the motor driving one hydro, perhaps with a Cub clutch to disengage one of them for starting. On the other hand, that might put the front axle out too far forward, so the engine above the axles may look better. I'll have to mock it up and make a call.

I've got two spare hydro axles, and a complete 1210 (with a third, albeit aluminum) axle. Plus many body parts from the 129 that was the second donor for the grader, so I'd be going for a WF look, using the frame from the 1210, the two cast iron axles, and the hood/grill from the 129 and other WF parts. The 1210's hydro is ported, so I'll probably swap that to one of the cast iron axles. I need the ports for the blade hydraulics--angle and height.

It's funny, my tandem dump Cub starts easily with two hydros and a hydraulic pump all attached. all in line, just like the grader. I wonder why the difference? Here's the tandem dump:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180131_120905.jpg (24.8 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg 20171220_125204.jpg (25.5 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg 20180118_171335.jpg (20.4 KB, 239 views)
Old 03-24-2021, 06:40 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRohacek View Post
Sure would be nice to use an old drive system from a zero turn mower. Just mount it all in a Cub Cadet frame of your choosing. Each track will have its own wheel motor. Build your track system and done!
Thought about that. But I have all the Cub parts lying around...just itching to be repurposed. Plus, I like the idea of the extra mass and ruggedness of the cast iron stuff...
Old 03-24-2021, 07:02 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmirror View Post
Maybe start at the other end of the system, and work backward:

https://www.gccpd.com/product.asp?it...IaAkEFEALw_wcB

Begin with the snowthrower or implement tracks. Find the proper rear drive hub, and idler hub, and tension arm hub. Then one only needs to drive the rear hub with the takeup tensioner arm hub on top of the track. No need to drive both axles on a tracked drive setup(although some do, it's not really needed).

If the front hubs can be on spindles, they don't even need to be on a through axle. Will allow the front driveshaft to mate to the PTO with a UJ.
I thought both tracks had to be driven independently to steer?

I'm considering buying tracks vs fabbing them from steel. Looking at maybe buying a CNC plasma cutter. Langmuir makes some pretty reasonable.

Steel tracks lend authenticity for that scale appearance.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:14 PM

For my job I am quite often at rental stores.

I have always thought that finding a used beat up cement buggy would be a great start for a dozer build
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0F125AA2-1114-4F8E-AE06-83944304D9B4.jpg (16.8 KB, 240 views)
Old 03-24-2021, 08:31 PM

You might just as well make two undercarriages while you're at it.

You know you need an excavator too. And the ring gear is no problem now after the grader build.