Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > The Tool Shed

Notices

Old 04-05-2017, 10:23 PM

I think for occasional use on Cub stuff, a Harbor Freight $100 core flux welder works great. I did a cradle mod on my 1450 and a sleeve hitch adapter for a core aerator using one of those and the welds are holding just fine. Maybe mess around with one of those for a while, learn how to weld and then see if you use it enough to merit an upgrade.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Where do you people shop online? I'm also looking for a welder and like the ESAB Rebel but with so many choices and not knowing who you're dealing with confuses me. Do I need a spool gun or foot control...probably not but is it cheaper to buy them in the package upfront?
Old 04-06-2017, 09:02 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmall fred View Post
Eastwood is selling a really nice 135 amp 110V mig welder for the home use owner. It has received very good reviews and it should weld any thing you would want to repair on a Cub Cadet. It comes complete with a regulator all that is needed is a tank or it also can be used with flux core wire. It is normally $299.99 but is now on sale for $251.97. That is cheaper than Harbor Fright.
Text below from their site. My son just ordered one.

Eastwood's own MIG 135 Welder: as good as the "name brands", but at a fraction of the price!

Welds mild and stainless steel as thin as 24-gauge
Welds up to 3/16" with solid core wire
Welds up to 1/4" with flux core wire
25-135-amp welding range
Tweco-Style Gun and Consumables
Powered by standard 120v household current
Ships with regulator and hose for MIG welding
Can also be used for Flux-Core welding.
Compare to similar welders that sell for over $500
Now compatible with spool gun for efficient welding of aluminum.
As a home hobbyist or light fabricator, you don't need to spend more for a "brand name" industrial MIG welder. Our R&D guys developed the Eastwood MIG 135 Welder from scratch to produce excellent bead quality and capabilities that match—and even exceed—the more expensive MIG welders for sale!

Backed by Eastwood's no-hassle return policy and 3-year warranty. Try it out for 60 days and if you don't like it, return it for a full refund!

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-1...5a-output.html
I know a few guys with one of these. They say they are great. I have not used one.

O,100,72,102,123,104,124,105
(2)2182s w/60in Habans
Old 04-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
Where do you people shop online? I'm also looking for a welder and like the ESAB Rebel but with so many choices and not knowing who you're dealing with confuses me. Do I need a spool gun or foot control...probably not but is it cheaper to buy them in the package upfront?

I wouldn't buy a welder online.... too many options, too much to consider. You really need to talk to a salesman. I suggest looking for a dealer near you, or finding a local welding shop and asking who they buy from. Even if they don't run ESAB machines, their welder supplier may carry them.

Do you need a spool gun or foot control.... depends. If you plan to get into aluminum welding yes. If you plan to TIG, then a foot control is the way to go. Is it cheaper to buy them upfront.... most generally. Just like a large purchase anywhere else, most generally you get a better deal when you buy a large quantity than you do later. But not always. This is why I suggest you talk to a sales rep.

I'm going back to an earlier post. Todd, no offence, but I've seen your welds, lol. If you want to get a machine like an ESAB with so many welding capabilities, you need to take some classes. MIG is easy to do. Stick is harder, TIG is harder yet. Welding aluminum is tough whether with a spool gun or a TIG. I've welded steel for a long time, and am quite good at it. But I struggle with a TIG or welding aluminum in general. It's just different.

I can't say this enough, ESAB machines are truly the best. Even if your not an experienced welder, they make is so much easier that you can't go wrong. I swear, you can't lay a bad bead with one, even if you try. They're just that good.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:22 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Well I have done business with 2 good place online yet on your side of the fence Oak! I remember your thread about the Rebel but can't help since I didn't try one yet, now I want one too but my Miller never mist a beat every time I flip the switch! Before you purchase online compare the price your local WS can offer you and try to cut a deal, It's always better and he knows you coming back to fill your gas cylinder

Bakers: I order my ESAB 161 LTS TIG/Stick package from them.
http://www.bakersgas.com/esabproducts.html

Weldingmart: I don't remember what I order from them, I think it's my Esab plasma... https://www.weldingmart.com/esab-reb...lding-machineshttp://store.cyberweld.com/tharcwe.html

2 Other places people on Welding Web forum buy from:
http://weldfabulous.com/welding/mach...ocess-welders/
http://store.cyberweld.com/tharcwe.html

You can call them, they are good people who know their product and can help you making the right choice for your need, service is premium too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
I can't say this enough, ESAB machines are truly the best. Even if your not an experienced welder, they make is so much easier that you can't go wrong. I swear, you can't lay a bad bead with one, even if you try. They're just that good.
And they look so good next to those yellow cub!
1976 1650/QA42A blower/44A deck/standby
1976 1450TS/Sleeve hitch/44A deck/in storage
1963 100 (red)/in storage
2010 Kubota 2380-2/42" infinity deck (engine swap)
Old 04-06-2017, 07:56 PM
Senior Moderator

I'll stop by my local welding supply store but here is why I'm gun shy.

I would use him to fill a lot of our tanks for work and his prices were great. We use a good bit of nitrogen & oxy/acetylene and the last time I used him he almost doubled his price. I asked him if their was a problem with our account and he said no. I told him the last time I got my tanks filled they were almost half of his new price. He then told me that they sold out to Airgas and they set the price not him. He was real nice about it but it wasn't that mom & pop shop it once was. I'll swing by there and report back on his prices. I'm sure there are other supply stores I can check also. I would rather buy local but not 10% more.

Here in Georgia and probably anywhere else, anyone can now purchase HVAC equipment (with refrigerant in it) and have it shipped to your door as cheap as I can get it at a brick & mortar store and they don't even need to have a refrigeration license. Our local Johnstone Supply store stopped selling Goodman equipment because of this reason. I know this has nothing to do with the original post but the welding stores are going to look at me like I'm Joe Homeowner and tell me to bend over.

Sorry Ronnie, I got off track again...back to the OP.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:47 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
anyone can now purchase HVAC equipment (with refrigerant in it) and have it shipped to your door as cheap as I can get it at a brick & mortar store and they don't even need to have a refrigeration license. Our local Johnstone Supply store stopped selling Goodman equipment because of this reason.
Doesnt that just piss you off?? So does your local stoner supply not even cary an equipment line then? My local Stoner supply carries goodman and Coleman. Ill stick in a goodman every now and again if somebody wants something cheap. Otherwise its mostly York Affinity series

X2 sorry to OP
1- 1864 in pieces
QA36A Thrower, #1 Tiller w/ extensions, IH windbreaker, IH wheel weights, 44C mower deck, 50C mower deck, CCC 54" Blade, GT46 high vacuum deck, GT54 deck, Cub Tripple Bagger, Custom dozer blade, Custom suitcase weights, 3pt cultivator, lawn sweeper, original R-Bucket
Old 04-07-2017, 05:49 AM
Administrator

I am with you Oak. I buy my Oxygen, Acetylene, CO2, and Nitrogen from a local Welding Supply. It is a Mom & Pop type of ownership. In all the years that I have patronized them, they have never spent one penny coming my way (servicing their refrigerated CO2 system, HVAC, etc). Further, the only reason I go their is because of convenience, not their award winning grumpy attitude. I also have noticed the price for the above items I purchase, have increased dramatically. I asked, and was told.......Government Regulations. Seen the price of R-22 triple from last year.

I would not approach these people about buying a welder. Once you open that door, you can expect to be "dogged" every time you walk in the door. Since I would not buy any equipment from these people, why go down that road. I would trust the member's opinions and advice here, before them.

So, I am also in the market for a MIG welder. Don't want the cheapest, nor do I need the "king of the hill" either. I am looking for a good "middle priced" rig that will handle my needs, that will do 1/4" material with no problems or extra steps.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 12-30-2017, 07:57 PM

Did anyone buy a MIG yet? Maybe for Christmas?

'76 1200 Dad bought
'75 1200 "Twinsie" per my daughter
Old 12-30-2017, 09:37 PM
Grand Member

Although Hobart is now owned by same group as Miller, they are not just different labels on the same machines.

Miller is the Cadillac
Whereas the Hobart is the Chevrolet.
(When there were differences decades ago)

I have a 1980's something Millermatic 200, I recently bought another one from an estate sale that only had like 20 hours of use and it looks like new.

A gas shield mig welder can be successfully used to weld aluminum via a short gun/hose assembly with a virtually straight gun nozzle and Teflon liner.
Those items are way cheaper than most spoolguns.
Something to look into if you rarely ever weld aluminum.