Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Customized Cub Cadets

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Grand Member

Default Sugarmakers "252 4x4"

Guys,
I need help! This is only a dream, thinking about a future big cub project which might include the 125 and other Cub related items.
I have been looking at the pictures on Darryl Schmidt's 4 wheel drive Cub, the articulated unit. (found on web search, about 30 pictures of the build.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5960435...n/photostream/

I need ideas on whether one could be made from a narrow frame system? Any one done one of these????
I have the 125, which is a semi complete tractor. I also have a frame and spare rear hydro from a 127.

I figure If I could blend them gently I might get a new "252 4x4" CUB Which might look like a 125 on steroids!

1. I need to know what I could do to get the power steering unit to move the rear end with a cylinder?
2. Looks like I might need a donor cub with power steering like maybe a 1450? Must have a ported Hydro to run the power steering is that right?
3. Also on Darryl's he has a parallel gear box mounted mid stream that powers the front hydro. I have not found a maker for that gear box yet???
4. Question: would the front hydro, which is mounted backwards, be running in reverse all the time? Does it matter?
5. How hard is it to get the hydro's to run at the same speed?

More ideas than time or money.
All ideas, suggestions/ help are welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Chris

Cubs: 147R and the "train", 127 elec lift, 127, 125, 106, 102, 100, 86, 73, Brinly plow, Snow thrower, 2 Rototillers, several mower decks and several snow plows, #1 cart, Grandkids barrel cart.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Grand Member

I'm looking forward to this, Chris.

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Banned

Chris check this thread out!

http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=7619
Old 04-04-2012, 01:55 PM

I am in the process of building an articulated cub. I haven't taken many pictures while I built it but I can tell you how I did things. I used a 1650 for the front end. (The one I got didn't have an engine.) Then I used a 105 (narrow frame) for the back. I mainly wanted a wide frame up front to accommodate a bigger engine. For power steering I used the stock lift cylinder from the 1650 and mounted it with ball joints on both ends. I bought a power steering valve of a local lawn mower shop. It was for an Ariens tractor but the cub steering wheel fit on it. I got power steering power from the front axle which was the ported rear end out of the 1650. On the front axle I turned the rear end around and hooked into what used to be the back of the transmission. You have to reverse the charge pump on it to make it pump. (It looks like a flange bearing on the front of the transmission. Pull two bolts and flip it 180 degrees.) The speed is the problem I am having now. I didn't leave much room for a linkage to go through the pivot point because I planned on using a cable like the choke cable. But my cable idea didn't work so well so I'm trying to come up with other ideas. I had it running and everything works great but I could tell the axles were fighting each other so I din't drive it like that much. If you don't mind running in two wheel drive I think it is a fairly simple project, once you have all the info you need collected. I'll probably think 4WD is simple once I get it working though. Ask any questions you want and I'll try to get some pictures up tonight when I have more time.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Grand Member

Duke,
Thanks! Head is spinning right now! from Articulation overload. And I haven't lifted a wrench yet Looked at the write up for Artie, nice article and he put tons of work into that unit.
erjost
Looking forward to your pictures too. I will need all the help I can get if I get into this. Wheres Matt G when you need him?

Sounds like the 1650 front is the hot set up. (I dont have one) Might be a 1450 local that I found in a barn last summer???
I will have some time to look at this potential project in the next few weeks.
Looks a little overwhelming right now. Will try to break it down.
No pictures, yet just a pile of old cub stuff waiting to be played with!

OK back to basics,
STEP 1: I want both hydros to be fully functional. What is the best set up? Front hydro facing forward or in reversed direction? Pros and cons?
Regards,
Chris

Cubs: 147R and the "train", 127 elec lift, 127, 125, 106, 102, 100, 86, 73, Brinly plow, Snow thrower, 2 Rototillers, several mower decks and several snow plows, #1 cart, Grandkids barrel cart.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
Duke,
Thanks! Head is spinning right now! from Articulation overload. And I haven't lifted a wrench yet Looked at the write up for Artie, nice article and he put tons of work into that unit.
erjost
Looking forward to your pictures too. I will need all the help I can get if I get into this. Wheres Matt G when you need him?

Sounds like the 1650 front is the hot set up. (I dont have one) Might be a 1450 local that I found in a barn last summer???
I will have some time to look at this potential project in the next few weeks.
Looks a little overwhelming right now. Will try to break it down.
No pictures, yet just a pile of old cub stuff waiting to be played with!

OK back to basics,
STEP 1: I want both hydros to be fully functional. What is the best set up? Front hydro facing forward or in reversed direction? Pros and cons?
Regards,
Chris
Chris your welcome I'm looking forward to what you come up with. I think people use the QL's due to their looks but any cub would look awesome as a 4x4.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:21 AM

A buddy of mine and I had talked about this, as I have two aluminum transaxle housings just sitting around. Our thoughts were to have two custom pinion shafts made so that one transmission would run one rear end and you would use the custom pinion shafts in conjunction with u-joints and drive shafts to connect to each other. In the end, the rear transaxle would have the hydro on it and a custom pinion shaft installed that would also provide an output to the front axle. The front transaxle would have no hydro, only a u-joint coming in where the steel pinion shaft cover used to go. I think you would have to turn the carrier around in the front to accomplish this. We thought that the hydros would just fight each other, and direct linkage was the best way to go. I do realize that these things cost money, and we were talking like we were going to win the Mega Millions (didn't happen).

Good Luck!

Nate
50C Deck
42" Hydraulic Angle Front Blade
41" IH Rear Blade
QA42A Snowthrower
Old 04-05-2012, 01:47 PM

Here is a video of mine showing how the steering cylinder works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-hm65dRSDo Its from a while back. Right now I have the tractor partially tore apart while I try to figure out the linkage for speed control between the axles. I would recommend putting your pivot point right in the center of your axles. That way the rear axle follows the front axle perfectly. That might not seem like a big deal but if you drive beside anything like a fence, if you turn away from it, the back axle may hit it. I put the axles on a 43 inch wheel base because thats what somebody else did and its the original wheel base. I think it looks about right. I also hooked the seat to the front half mainly because I wanted to copy the bigger rigs. Some people have put it on the back half which might make it easier but I don't think it looks right at all. I mainly built mine because I really like the way articulated tractors drive and this one is no exception. Its fun to drive and easy thanks to the power steering.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Grand Member

Great vid! Thanks for sharing.

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 04-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Grand Member

Alan, Duke, erj
Thanks for the information.
ERJ that is a nice looking articulated Cub you have built. Thanks for sharing. Good tips on some of the basics!
Learning a bunch. But more questions than answers

Maddog, Yea I hear you on the funds for a project like this. Lots of little things to consider and they all add up to $$$$.

At this time I have no idea if this will become real? I will take some pictures of the junk yard parts that I have.

Off to look at some posts.
Regards,
Chris