Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 09:09 PM

Hi Frank,

Thanks for additional advice. All done with the cam bracket - got it set really well. So now all that remains is this rpm / governor chasing issue. I adjusted both high (main) and low idle jets as suggested in the manual. There is a discrepancy, though, in the initial setting of the idle between 2 different manuals. I've always used that which is mentioned in the owner's manual - 1 full turn - and noticed that this is the way it was set previously with the old engine; however, the Kohler manual says 2 1/2 turns. I went from lean to rich on both and found what seems to be a good midway setting. (At least doing this sort of thing I'm used to from using my weedwacker...make adjustments on that all the time as needed).

So...what? Try the 2 1/2 turns and see what happens? How about changing the sensitivity on the governor, i.e. moving the spring to a different hole? From what I read, that affects either speed surge or drop, but may not cure a chasing condition. I should mention that I've not engaged the PTO / mower yet - actually have never made any carb adjustments with the mower running. For that matter, have hardly ever made carb adjustments since having the tractor. Pretty sure my brother did when it was in his shop last year and so haven't changed it from that but checked and it matches what I said previously - 2 turns for the main and 1 turn for the idle.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:26 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedawg82 View Post
YES!!!!! Do you have one out in the boneyard that hasn't run since the 80's? Asking for the Nuttings.
cheesedawg82, Getting too old and gearing down. My boneyard is bare, other than a Model 70 that is stripped down and ready to paint. Just need time to get to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperino View Post
And I thought there were no football fans here!
Coop, I did the football and hockey while then teams were kicking a$$. I have visions of a Pirate Cub, (translation) "long term vision".

Quote:
Originally Posted by three4rd View Post
You are absolutely correct...'85...title track from his solo album of the same name....I'm impressed! CCR (or Fogerty for that matter) quite honestly was not really one of the bands that I followed or listened to a whole lot, although I used to play the ubiquitous "Proud Mary" at nearly every wedding reception our group had. By mid-80s I was deeply into the whole Windham Hill / new age genre - especially the guitar guys like Will Ackerman, Michael Hedges, and pianist George Winston, etc. - the fingerstyle guitar and the altered tunings had a huge influence on the style of my own playing, compositions and recordings. I still think the 70s was a truly amazing time musically especially from the progressive rock standpoint - loved bands like Yes (especially), Emerson Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, and so forth. CSNY too....lots of amazing talent in all of those bands. Can't forget others like the Beach Boys (Brian Wilson is a definite pop music genius) and The Who (Townshend another genius)
Three4rd, that's what is cool about this place. You just exposed yourself to having great knowledge about rock history. I have loved all the music, just could care less who performs and when. Thus the fact that some of us remember the proper beat of a Kohler and some of us (not me) know the tempo of Hotel CaLifornia, (baddest ass song ever)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYkL5igsG4k

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustdad View Post
Adjust the neutral before you worry about the carb adjustment. don't drive the bracket all the way to the top, just nudge it enough to stop the wheels from turning after you set it in "neutral" with the pedal. Don't lock the pedal down or the brakes will stop the wheels.

Go forward and back with the lever, then hit the pedal again. should stop the wheels. If not, adjust the bracket until it does. Slop in the linkage will often result in a situation where it will go in neutral from forward by hitting the pedal, but if you are going in reverse and hit the pedal, it doesn't quite make it into true neutral. Sometimes that's the best you can achieve.

Throttle "hunting" or going up and down in RPMs is usually a carb adjustment. Follow instructions in the manual, I think 2 turns open on the main jet and 2-1/2 turns on the idle jet to start. Put some load on the engine (engage the mower) and make small adjustments as described in the manual.
"Listen to the man, he knows of what he speaks"
Old 06-11-2019, 09:57 PM

Ironman....I know what I know (about the history of rock music), but it pales in comparison to others. My roommate in college was, as the saying goes, "da man". His dad worked for a radio station and so, (like a friend of my brother who did the same), had all these 'demo' copies - some obscure bands I never even heard of. But, what used to amaze me is how much he knew about the individual players in the various popular bands of the time - knew who played for whom when, where they went after (or before), who arranged for them, which band members wrote which songs, the various incarnations of bands as to changing rosters, etc....you name it. Would have kicked a$$ on any TV pop music trivia contest. My album collection (which really wasn't bad at all) was minuscule compared to what he had in our dorm room. Boxes full of them. Nice memories. Poor guy died shortly after graduation - never quite heard why but suspect drugs. We were as different as night and day and yet got along well.

Sorry for such a long digression.....AND, however, thanks for the compliment You're right...my dad, for instance, could listen to a car's engine run and not only knew if it was property tuned or not, but also exactly what needed to be done to correct it. I'm sure many of you guys here possess the same ability. Me...nah...that's why I bore you guys with endless questions...lol But, yeah, I can hear if something like a guitar string, or the pitch of any instrument for that matter, is out of tune immediately - drives me crazy - or if any individual note of a chord is a few cents off intonation-wise and so forth. Been doing music my whole life...made a career of it. Did not possess any sports ability whatsoever - was always the last kid chosen for teams during school recess or phys ed class to play whatever. Didn't let it bother me though.

How derelict of me to not include the Eagles in my list of bands?! Hotel California...a classic that has to be among the best ever. I didn't go back into the 60s ala the Beatles particularly since, I feel anyway, they are in a league of their own. Funny how each generation probably feels the "music of their life" is the best, although was always tickled how my daughter and her friends were really into some of the 'retro' bands I referred to. Probably from hearing alot of it at home while growing up.

BTW...the tempo of Hotel California is approximately quarter note = @60 beats per minute.....key of B minor....so now......wish I could listen to the 129 and figure out how to get this governor / carb setting straightened out!! I look at all the linkages, then look at it again...like there is some mysterious magic inside. Don't have the "knack" but sure have learned alot over the past year with this engine removal / reinstall / tractor separation and cork gasket job, and everything that went with it. The guy who rebuilt my engine is pretty impressive too - one of these older guys who has been doing it his whole life. Must have spent 2 hours in his shop when I dropped off the engine - he was showing me all these special tools and such he made to do this, that, and the other thing - plus intricate parts for everything imaginable that a machinist friend of his makes for him...that guy has REAL talent...the smallest pieces....all done with exacting precision. It was cool talking to him..the sort of place that Charles Kuralt would have checked out along the way Sort of like stepping back in time walking in there. My Cub parts dealer is the same way. I'm attracted to the whole garage / shop atmosphere since I grew up with it. My dad ran a service station (and also sold West Bend outboard motors and boats)...pumped Gulf gas until eventually we pulled the pumps and tanks out. People used to think we made big bucks selling gas...when in reality the profit was like 3 cents on the gallon.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Gone way past the Original Topic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Derail-1.JPG (43.6 KB, 61 views)

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 06-12-2019, 08:45 AM
Grand Member

But, But us old farts do that Ha,LOL
Now about those steam locomotives 4-8-8-4
Old 06-12-2019, 09:10 AM
Grand Member

I forget. What was the original topic?
Oh yeah, a noise....(like rap music),
but now the noise is gone...(like the day the music died)
and now the engine's governor is surging the rpm...(like changing tempo).
How can you change tempo without any music? Damn I'm cornfused.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:52 PM

Ironman....Great post! LOL
Old 06-12-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
But, But us old farts do that Ha,LOL
Now about those steam locomotives 4-8-8-4
LOL....a Union Pacific Big Boy, eh?

Old 06-12-2019, 01:13 PM

OK now...coming back into some degree of focus (where'd I put my glasses anyway?)....

Following further adjustment on the carb main and idle jets, if I'm still getting uneven performance, would it be advisable to try a different spring hole on either shaft?
Old 06-12-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bedell View Post
Gone way past the Original Topic.

Roland,

We is movin' along agin.....and grinnin' jus lak a possum eatin' a sweet tater. That ol' CSX actually has a K-301 in it.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (14.9 KB, 42 views)