View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperino View Post
Sam,

Makes sense why it would be splines but a couple questions about this if you don't mind since I was thinking of putting a diesel in my 1211.
1. The machine shop next door to me can cut splines. He also has an oven for hardening. He hardens dies for tooling all the time but I have no idea if what he does is substantial enough as a "hardened" shaft. The tooling he makes is for huge presses that cut and form steel. He did tell me after hardening dies they are nearly impossible to machine.

2. I thought it would be wise to incorporate either a love joy or some other type of connection to dampen the blow to shaft and rear from the diesel engine. Ever seen this done? If so did it work well?

Anyway if the hardening would work maybe that could help the OP
Thanks
We've seen guys try the love-joy idea. Usually didn't end well. You have to hold the shaft centered Coop. The driveline on a Cub is held in place on both ends by a pilot (ball) bushing, with the rag joint as a coupler. The shaft can't come out unless you unbolt the engine or trans. Love joy couplers are designed to be on the end of a supported shaft. So.... your going to also add a cross bar and a pillow block bearing. You'd have to. Then get on the tractor and let your legs straddle a shaft spinning 3600 RPM that can come out of place if it fails....?? Only system I would use if not the OEM style is a u-joint. But I honestly like Cubs design better. I think it's safer.

The solution to the issue is what Cub eventually went to, and what Sam has suggested. Although I do agree with Oak. The early diesels didn't use the splined shaft. They seem to fail at about the same rate in my opinion. I think the biggest reason that the drive lines fail is lack of maintenance.