View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 07:16 AM

the block would go right in, cuz the 1650 had the narrow base block like yours (most all cubs did) that seems to be the most important part. Mounting was different in the 1650 than the 1X9, not sure if the gear starter would cause a fitment issue/ but I'm thinking not, the 149 and 1650 share the same frame... I just did the engine overhaul on a 1200 (gear drive I know but same series machine as the 1650) and I have a 129 to put back together and get going soon so I too will be finding out. I know the 1650 originally had an electric PTO clutch and the 149 had a mechanical one.
I have not yet worked on enough Cubs between the different models to know for sure.
I do know this; given 2 engines in equal condition, the closer to you that one can be found, and not having to be shipped will probably be a better deal because you can SEE what you are getting so you can say "no thanks" if you get there and find out it is a turd, not so easy buying something from a distance. unless you have someone you can trust to check it out near the location and can hold it for you, and possibly help get it to you.... I wish I could find a narrow base 14 to 16HP Kohler near me that isn't in pieces.