View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 03:09 PM

Default Progress/Confusion of Fried 149

Some progress, and plenty of confusion...

Things I verified.

1. Battery is putting out 12.47v.
2. 12.47 volts constant at battery pole of solenoid.
3. Jumping the solenoid poles engages the starter/alternator.
4. [X] Turning key to start or ignition positions sends no current to activator pole on solenoid.
5. Turning key to start and ignition positions sends 12.47v to charge indicator + pole.
6. PTO and Neutral safety switches provide continuity at the switch poles when engaged.
7. Fuse is okay.

Confusing parts: I THINK I measured 12.47v at the Neutral safety switch when I turned key to start and ignition positions. Then, I got nothing doing the same test at the PTO safety switch. It seemed odd because it looked like the PTO safety came BEFORE the Neutral safety in the circuit (but I may be misreading the diagram). Also, when I went back to verify that the Neutral safety behaved properly, it then showed NO voltage when engaging the key.

I went over this same sequence two more times and got no voltage to either safety switch, but continued to get voltage to the charge indicator.

The fact that after frying the system I lost power to the lights AND to the starter plus the fact that I'm getting 12v on/off by turning they key makes me suspect the voltage regulator. But I am so new to this (first attempt to diagnose/fix any kind of electrical system), that I have little confidence in this suspicion. (I must need some kind of real DUMMY's guide.) I love this machine, and I think I'll love it even more as I learn to repair it

Any ideas, guidance, referrals would be great, and I'd very much appreciate it.