View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 02:38 PM

Default New guy from North Texas

Hello everyone!

I had been window shopping for a new 'riding mower' to replace a older Troy Built that came with the house we bought a few years back. We are on 1 acre. I researched all the usual suspects, the green ones, the orange ones, the red ones.....

Then I spoke with a friend who recommended a Cub Cadet because his dad had one back in the day that was so torquey that it would lay tracks in the driveway. I was stuck thinking about my days in the Cub scouts, and that somehow this brand was for kids.... It's just how my brain works, not sayin it's a good excuse, or reason!!

So i started looking..... then I discovered this YouTube video on the history of Cub Cadet, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FQ7dRyGzSY&t=318s

.... and being a long time 'fan' of IH, that was the tipping point for me. After I finished the history lesson, it was on to full Google research mode on which CC was going to fit the bill for me.

Long story short I found a 1864 for sale on Craigslist for $450. Said it needed a battery, but was otherwise "restored"....

I grabbed a friends hauling rig and went to pick it up. Brought a new battery and some fresh gas with me. It would turn over with the new battery, but none of the new gas was moving up the filter. Good spark and a poor man's compression test felt ok..... good enough to gamble.

I bought it for $400.

It's been sitting under my carport for a few months while the higher priority tasks at home got clicked off. So I tore into it this last weekend. Put a new fuel pump and filter in, got the gas to flow, still no start. Tore off the carb and found the nastiness that was once a working carb. poured a little gas in the intake and got it to finally fire off for a few seconds!!!! Hallelujah!

Found this for a replacement, so that's on the list of 'to buy' and then should be close to in business.

http://www.griggsmowerparts.com/2485334.html

Glad to be here! thank you for all your posts, they have already been a great asset to me!

-Brandon

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1715 2.jpg