View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 01:09 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
Mechanic in a can PS fix. OK let the negative comments begin. Here's the deal the power steering on my 1864/2264 has been getting sloppy to the point that I was planning on pulling it apart and doing the reseal routine to it. Just for the hell of it I bought a bottle of Bars Leak rear main seal repair and dumped it in the tranny. Cost me a whole $8.94. Figured for that huge sum of money what have I got to loose. Well damn after about 30 mins mowing with it I noticed it was getting better, by the time I was done about 3 hours it feels as good as new and the howl is gone. It claims to swell seals so I figured the PS system in these things is nothing but a bunch of O-Rings. Am I recommending this, no I'm going telling you what I did. Now for a long term test to see how it holds up or if it causes any problems.
Well hey... if it works it works! It will be interesting to see how long it works out.... but you haven't lost anything.. Years ago when an old C6 or TH400 would start slipping or not shifting right we would pour a 20oz coke bottle with half laquer thinner and half auto trans fluid into the dipstick hole... it worked 90 percent of the time... some got 2 or 3 more months.. some got 2 or 3 more years!

40 years of Using and playing with IH Cub Cadets!

Proud owner of the following:
Cub Farmall, Super A Farmall, Original, (2)70's, 72, 100, 102, 123, 105, 125, 127, 108, 128, 1450, (3)782's, Yellow 982, 1782, "Sam's" 2182, M Farmall and a #7 trailer