Thread: A Tandem Cub
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 10:07 PM
Grand Member

Got my tires mounted today. I was disappointed that I could not mount them with my HF mini tire changer, but after taking them to the auto shop, where even they complained about how stiff they were, I don't feel so lame. And they had an automotive tire machine. Cost $48.00 and tax to have four tires mounted with tubes installed. Sometimes it makes sense to through in the towel, so to speak, and pay the pro.

I mounted a couple tires on one side just to check tire clearances. I was sweating this a little, as I put the two axles 24 inches on center, and assumed I'd have an inch between tires. I checked it out with a pair of turf tires, but wasn't sure how the ags would work out. Luckily, it all worked out. See pics.

I'm now working on linking the two hydro controls. I plan to run a rod from the front trunnion control plate to the rear plate, with the ability to adjust the length so I can sync the two hydros. I don't expect to be able to get it exact but it should be close enough.

Just a note about the brake linkage I installed. Did you know that the little brake actuator links (that pivot to compress the brake pads) are hardened? And that even a cobalt twist drill will just skid off? And that a center punch makes almost no dimple? I had to pull out the carbide twist drill to drill the holes. I got through three of the links, using cutting fluid, before the bit got dull. Sharpened it on the diamond grinder wheel I use for carbide lathe bits.

I only mention this as I expect the hydro control plates to be similar heat treated material. Haven't tried to drill them yet, but my plan is to drill both plates to link them so they move in tandem.

One final note. I put 23x8.50 tires on this build because I had 4 extra 7 inch rims and zero 8 (or is it 8.5?) inch rims. If I had the larger rims, I'd have put 23x10.50 tires on this. FYI, the four deestone 6 ply tires cost $199 shipped from an ebay seller. I normally go to Miller Tire, but didn't see them on their site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171218_200502.jpg (20.9 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg 20171218_200515.jpg (17.6 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg 20171218_200522.jpg (18.0 KB, 299 views)