View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoton View Post
Hmmm... I thought that 6011 was an AC rod with 6010 being the DC equivalent...

This is a copy and paste from another site (not my information but was helpful to me);

Under the heading Best rods for A.C. stick;

"6011 if you really need to penetrate deep in heavier material and apperance doesn't need to be super smooth. The bead can be fairly rough depending on your manipulation technique, there is more spatter than with 6013 and 7014, and it can tend to give more problems with sticking to the workpiece. This is a great all position rod for vertical up and overhead and works well with a "whip and pause" manipulation. Pause to melt in an deposit metal, whip forward and away a bit to allow the puddle to chill, repeat. On the root pass you see the keyhole form thru to the backside, then whip forward to let it cool and not burn the keyhole too large, then come back in to deposit metal and open the keyhole again. Slag removal can be a pain."

So the point is, you might have better results with a proper DC rod. I'll hope for the real welders on this site to chime in.
Both the Harbor Freight rod and the Lincoln rod that I have can be used for both AC and DC.

1976 IH Cub Cadet 1250, 1978 IH Cub Cadet 1250 W/Hydraulic lift