View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 11:32 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustdad View Post
There are terminals for a braking resistor, though I have not looked into that yet. I'm OK with the extended spin up and slow down speeds at this point. Not really in a hurry yet.

Installed the new on/off switch.

I managed to clean up a piece of mild steel today with one of the nitride coated end mills. Seemed to work great. Tried a carbide insert face mill and not much joy. I understand I need higher speeds and heavier feed for carbide, so I need to step back and look at my setup.

Got an R8 collet set, an R8 drill chuck, an R8 to MT2 adapter, a new drawbar, an edge finder, and a slitting saw arbor in the mail yesterday and today.

Glad you are enjoying your new machine.
Waiting on the boring head and a 5C collet set with square and hex collet blocks, and a few other things still in transit.

Having a lot of fun learning this new machine.
I have tilted the head ever so slightly so the backside of the face mill doesn’t drag. Helps the surface finish. Keep the depth of cut no less than half the radius of the insert. Try to take too small depth of cut and it’s just like a lathe. You can’t get good finish taking off a couple of thousandths with a .03 radius tool.

Glad your having fun!

O,100,72,102,123,104,124,105
(2)2182s w/60in Habans