View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 07:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperino View Post
Sam,

Makes sense why it would be splines but a couple questions about this if you don't mind since I was thinking of putting a diesel in my 1211.
1. The machine shop next door to me can cut splines. He also has an oven for hardening. He hardens dies for tooling all the time but I have no idea if what he does is substantial enough as a "hardened" shaft. The tooling he makes is for huge presses that cut and form steel. He did tell me after hardening dies they are nearly impossible to machine.

2. I thought it would be wise to incorporate either a love joy or some other type of connection to dampen the blow to shaft and rear from the diesel engine. Ever seen this done? If so did it work well?

Anyway if the hardening would work maybe that could help the OP
Thanks
You will be fine with what you have. Cub didn't start using splined rears until the 1572 on the diesels. The 782D, 882 & 1512 all use the standard GT pump. IMHO, I think that the rag joint takes some of the abuse of the engine pounding away at the pump. I'm not saying the CV isn't the way to go but I don't run mine enough to worry about the original system failing. If you're putting a bunch of hours on it then I say go the CV route.