View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 10:30 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post
I am almost ready to put my rebuilt engine back in my 149 tractor. Before I do, I need to fix a electrical problem. Battery has 12.7 volt between terminals. When I turn ign. switch to ign., it has 12.7 at end of black wire going to pos. coil. When I turn key to start and hold it there, the meter will some times show 12.7 volt and then it shows .1 volt at black wire going to pos. coil. I have studied the wiring diagram till I am blue in the face. I can't figure how the voltage gets to the black wire to pos. coil in the start position. I don't think I need to tell you I don't know much about this. I am sure you have figured it out by now. All help will be appreciated from you members in the know. Thanks and have a great day
Bob
You should always have the same voltage as your battery reading on the lead that goes to the positive pole of your coil in BOTH the start and run positions of the key. Two exceptions would be....
1. You have a bad key switch or....
2. You have the engine installed, the lead is hooked up to the positive pole of your coil and your points happen to be closed. In this case, the points are applying a ground seen through the coil therefore your voltage reading disappears. You should see battery voltage when the points are open.