View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 10:32 PM
Banned

Probably no one on here that has had them apart. That tractor wasn't a super popular one for restoration. Plus, usually they have long ago been repowered with the B&S replacement engine.

The crankshaft is listed as an IH part number. Probably because of the length and size of the PTO end was set by IH, and thus assigned an IH number. Now, the journal could possibly be a different size.... but since it uses a standard B&S piston, I'd say the stroke is the same. It's likely that a common rod will fit, but possible it may not. If that is the case, I would grind the crank to whatever size you need it to be, then buy a new rod (as it's likely the length pin to pin is the same) and either have the rod sized to fit, or have a bearing insert made to size it to the crank. It sounds expensive, and while it is more so that just installing a rod, you might be surprised how much it costs. All that work for a B&S motor in a non-typically restored tractor..... guess it all depends how much your buddy likes his IH.

Only real way to know (as I'm sure you do) is to pull it apart and check it out. Get your journal size and check it against a B&S book and see what works.