View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 08:47 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrobert View Post
All the advise definitely makes sense. If I really needed a big compressor I would buy a good one but this is just a toy. I have a few blasting projects in mind that will need high flow. I will look into a mid priced replacement pump that has the right dimensions and the correct micro-V pulley.

In the mean time I'm off to the races on the rebuild for the following reasons:

1 I already disassembled and cleaned up the pump.
2 I already ordered the gasket set shown above.
3 The bearings, journals, and wrist pins turn smooth and tight.
4 I've never honed a cylinder before so I want to try it.
5 If I rebuild it I won't feel as bad about overpaying for it.
6 I have a tinkering addiction.
7 If I die next week and go to heaven I can look down and smile because my rebuilt pump will have lasted a lifetime.
8 If I die next week and go to hell I'll just wait around for the bastard that sold me the compressor to show up.
9 If I paint it Chevy orange I'll beat any of you Ford guys in a compressor race.
10 Then I can paint the tank emerald green and have twins.
That is a really good way to put it!!

Just for info... I have that very same compressor in my shop at home... I have run the ever living crap out of it.. I did put reed valves in it once but that was 20 years ago.. I agree it's not a HD compressor and it's meant for hobby use but I have abused mine and it still pumps great!

40 years of Using and playing with IH Cub Cadets!

Proud owner of the following:
Cub Farmall, Super A Farmall, Original, (2)70's, 72, 100, 102, 123, 105, 125, 127, 108, 128, 1450, (3)782's, Yellow 982, 1782, "Sam's" 2182, M Farmall and a #7 trailer