View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 06:07 PM

Angry

Got my corn in this weekend. Would have been sooner, but trying to use the wrong pulley shredded my tiller belt. https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/...lies/angry.gif

I tilled up a nice patch with the 149 and #1 with one extension, 5 rows wide by 30 feet, same size as the tater patch, only she did a much better job with a proper pulley and a few adjustments. Tightening the friction nut on the throttle and removing the depth tine on the tiller made it a completely different machine. Still won't crawl so it still needs work, I'll have to split it and weld up the trunion, but she's gonna have to last the season.

Using the 106 and a middlebuster, I made 5 rows, which we then dressed and covered by hand. We hand planted in blocks on either side of the dressed row. (1) Early Sunglow, (2,3) Golden Bantam, (4,5) Peaches and Cream - Burpee Seed. Got a good soaking rain right after.

Now we wait...

In the meantime, where would I go about getting one of those signs I see on the side of cornfields? That would look cool as hell.

How long do I have to get sweeps for my cultivator before I can't run the corn over anymore?

I planted the potatoes in a similar fashion 2 weeks ago with less tilling, having broadcast my dressing over the patch prior to tilling. 4 rows, 2 Kennebec, 2 Red. How long until I have to put a couple of discs on the cultivator and hill them up? I tilled up grass with the depth tine attached, and wanted to do more passes but I had shredded the belt, so I'm definitely gonna be growing more grass than I want in this patch. Tips would be appreciated.
Grumpy old 149/1A tiller, Trusty Rusty 106, & a Massey Ferguson 10 to work the garden, Tiny Snapper to mow the lawn. Slowly accumulating attachments and quickly driving the neighbors crazy on a half acre homestead.