View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 09:20 AM
Grand Member

I've purchased a combination of insert tooling and R8 adapters/arbors from ebay sellers and a large lot of what looks like higher quality end mills from a retired machinist. The lot includes single and double ended mills, 2 and 4 flutes, short and long, roughing and form cutters (round over, vee, slotting drills, round nose, etc).

I've been practicing making square blocks. Just getting an accurate set up, and facing 6 sides so they are all perpendicular and dimensionally accurate. I'm within .001" across a 4 inch wide block which I think is quite good. Even ground my own HSS bit for a fly cutter to surface a larger aluminum block which yielded a near mirror finish on the part.

Having a lot of fun learning this new machine. Glad I bought this full size knee mill and not a smaller table top version, despite the challenges in getting it and moving it around.

Oh, one thing that might help others considering such a purchase. I was able to move the mill across the garage floor by myself with a 2 Ton engine hoist that I purchased from Tractor Supply. Set the arm at the 1.5 Ton setting and was able to lift the mill off the floor a couple inches and roll the whole rig across the floor to the final position.