View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Any idea what this is?

Hello,
Today I was mowing my lawn after servicing my B&S 18.5 twin cylinder Engine. model 4h777
About an hour into the cut I noticed a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust. The engine was also losing power with the cutting deck engaged. When I disengaged the deck the engine would pick up in rpms. I stopped the engine and checked the oil only to find it to be way way over the fill mark and smelt like gasoline. I checked the gas level at the rear of the engine and the tank was empty. Three gallons gone in a mater of one hour. How does three gallons of gas empty into the crankcase in the matter of an hour? Their would have to be a direct path to the crankcase from the tank.
The engine starts on first revolution of starter.

So far:
Plugs are new.
Pulse fuel pump is working.
Drained and removed filter. Put fresh oil and filter back onto engine.
I have removed the carb and cleaned it. The fuel bowl had s lot of junk in the bottom. Disassembled and I used carb cleaner on all the jets and ran fine wire thru all the jets.
I reassembled the carb and turned it up side down and blew thru the gas inlet and had no air coming thru needle valve I then turned carb back and was able to blow thru needle valve.
I did make the mistake of removing the dip stick while engine was running and got covered in gas/oil mixture. Luckily I was wearing my glasses.
Checked compression 125 and 150psi
Any ideas where the gas is entering the crankcase?