View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 09:43 AM

Default New Member in SW PA

Hi all. Just saying hello, I've been reading posts on the forum for quite a while and finally joined! I took interest in lawnmowers as a kid after getting a copy of Mark Madson's "How to build a pro street lawnmower" video out of the back of Hot Rod Magazine as a little kid. I never built a mower, but as I got older, I worked on a local farm and scratched the itch with big tractors for a living, and went on to go to school for auto mechanics.

Fast forward 20 years, I'm now an adult living in the suburbs and mechanics is a hobby, as well as gardening. I've also managed to accumulate enough old tractors to piss off the neighbors, watched every video that Doc Sprocket ever made, and done a few things that would make him smile, none of which involved a Cub Cadet and probably don't belong in this forum, but are and will be fun projects with the kids.

Among my lawn ornament treasures is a pair of Cub Cadets that I'd like to turn into one turn-key reliable Retro-Mod tractor that will be primarily used to plow and cultivate 1/8 acre of my garden, but also able to be loaded up on the trailer once a year so the boys can run it at the county fair. It doesn't have to win the pulls, but it would sure be nice.

Current machines -

1971 Cub Cadet 127. K301 crank turns over freely while piston remains at TDC. Carb, generator, exhaust, and all ignition parts missing. Front wheels are also missing but most of the rest of it is there.

20?? Cub Cadet ????. Idk what model it is, but it's a shaft driven Hydro with a Kohler 13hp OHV single cylinder engine that appears as if it will bolt right into the 127. The electric PTO clutch on the front pulley also looks like I would be insane to keep the K301 setup, especially when I don't plan to run attachments. The seat is also super comfy, and I really like the cup holder.

^^^ If you have built this "137 OHV", something similar, or know someone who has, please let me know or link the thread in the comments. I'd really appreciate it.

199? Jacobsen LT10. 30" deck rear engine rider. Cuts grass, fits between my garden rows. Kid blew the head gasket on 10HP Flathead B&S last cutting, and it's first on the repair list. It may become and LT17 or LT18.5

198? Hechinger by MTD. 12HP flathead briggs, 38" deck to be removed & PTO to drive 2 alternators and an A/C compressor. One alternator will power a large inverter and LED Light tower, the other will drive an alternator welder, and the compressor will be rigged to run air tools.

^^^I don't understand why more people don't put these things together, as every component required can often be found in nearly every farmer's empire of dirt can produce a pretty awesome little mini shop that you can drive around the property for pennies.

John Deere 175 (17hp Kawasaki) and MTD (18.5 HP Oppy) parts tractors.