View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 09:57 PM

Ironman....I know what I know (about the history of rock music), but it pales in comparison to others. My roommate in college was, as the saying goes, "da man". His dad worked for a radio station and so, (like a friend of my brother who did the same), had all these 'demo' copies - some obscure bands I never even heard of. But, what used to amaze me is how much he knew about the individual players in the various popular bands of the time - knew who played for whom when, where they went after (or before), who arranged for them, which band members wrote which songs, the various incarnations of bands as to changing rosters, etc....you name it. Would have kicked a$$ on any TV pop music trivia contest. My album collection (which really wasn't bad at all) was minuscule compared to what he had in our dorm room. Boxes full of them. Nice memories. Poor guy died shortly after graduation - never quite heard why but suspect drugs. We were as different as night and day and yet got along well.

Sorry for such a long digression.....AND, however, thanks for the compliment You're right...my dad, for instance, could listen to a car's engine run and not only knew if it was property tuned or not, but also exactly what needed to be done to correct it. I'm sure many of you guys here possess the same ability. Me...nah...that's why I bore you guys with endless questions...lol But, yeah, I can hear if something like a guitar string, or the pitch of any instrument for that matter, is out of tune immediately - drives me crazy - or if any individual note of a chord is a few cents off intonation-wise and so forth. Been doing music my whole life...made a career of it. Did not possess any sports ability whatsoever - was always the last kid chosen for teams during school recess or phys ed class to play whatever. Didn't let it bother me though.

How derelict of me to not include the Eagles in my list of bands?! Hotel California...a classic that has to be among the best ever. I didn't go back into the 60s ala the Beatles particularly since, I feel anyway, they are in a league of their own. Funny how each generation probably feels the "music of their life" is the best, although was always tickled how my daughter and her friends were really into some of the 'retro' bands I referred to. Probably from hearing alot of it at home while growing up.

BTW...the tempo of Hotel California is approximately quarter note = @60 beats per minute.....key of B minor....so now......wish I could listen to the 129 and figure out how to get this governor / carb setting straightened out!! I look at all the linkages, then look at it again...like there is some mysterious magic inside. Don't have the "knack" but sure have learned alot over the past year with this engine removal / reinstall / tractor separation and cork gasket job, and everything that went with it. The guy who rebuilt my engine is pretty impressive too - one of these older guys who has been doing it his whole life. Must have spent 2 hours in his shop when I dropped off the engine - he was showing me all these special tools and such he made to do this, that, and the other thing - plus intricate parts for everything imaginable that a machinist friend of his makes for him...that guy has REAL talent...the smallest pieces....all done with exacting precision. It was cool talking to him..the sort of place that Charles Kuralt would have checked out along the way Sort of like stepping back in time walking in there. My Cub parts dealer is the same way. I'm attracted to the whole garage / shop atmosphere since I grew up with it. My dad ran a service station (and also sold West Bend outboard motors and boats)...pumped Gulf gas until eventually we pulled the pumps and tanks out. People used to think we made big bucks selling gas...when in reality the profit was like 3 cents on the gallon.