View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 11:26 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
We've seen guys try the love-joy idea. Usually didn't end well. You have to hold the shaft centered Coop. The driveline on a Cub is held in place on both ends by a pilot (ball) bushing, with the rag joint as a coupler. The shaft can't come out unless you unbolt the engine or trans. Love joy couplers are designed to be on the end of a supported shaft. So.... your going to also add a cross bar and a pillow block bearing. You'd have to. Then get on the tractor and let your legs straddle a shaft spinning 3600 RPM that can come out of place if it fails....?? Only system I would use if not the OEM style is a u-joint. But I honestly like Cubs design better. I think it's safer.

The solution to the issue is what Cub eventually went to, and what Sam has suggested. Although I do agree with Oak. The early diesels didn't use the splined shaft. They seem to fail at about the same rate in my opinion. I think the biggest reason that the drive lines fail is lack of maintenance.
Understood...

Spoke to my neighbor here with machine shop. He told me hes got tons of stock I can use and I am welcome to use the machinery and he would help me dial it in.. Asked me to pay 20 bucks to use the oven for 2 hours. He said he usually heat treats at 1500 for 2 hours for his tooling and thinks that should be fine. I won't take him up on just yet but if I ever find myself in similar situation as OP I will try it for sure