View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 10:27 PM

Default Excellent choice in lathes!

Excellent choice in lathes, Jeff. I believe that's a CK-series. I've got a 10EE, and it's the sweetest machine on the planet. What I can't cut with it, I cut with a 24x210 Lodge and Shipley... which isn't quite as precise as the 10EE, but it does the trick.

Did someone say drill press?

It's a Johannsen radial, fitted with a Bridgeport BRJ head, but using a 2hp Baldor 3-phase motor, driving the spindle with a Carlisle RPP toothed-belt setup in 3:1 reduction. Motor is driven by an Allen-Bradley 1305 type AA12A variable-frequency drive, fed by a 240v single-phase 15A receptacle. Full speed control from stopped spindle to just under 2000rpm (motor's spinning at about 6000rpm)... and I've equipped the drive with additional braking resistors for dynamic braking... when you stop the spindle, it stops NOW! Motor's mechanical fan has been removed, and replaced with a 240v computer-type 'muffin' fan, so it's whisper quiet, even when drilling a BIG hole. I've also fitted the table with an electric gearmotor for changing table elevation. Also have a footpedal with two-stage control for power-tapping, and a pair of LED floodlamps that power up anytime the controls are on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radial drill 3-20-08.jpg (15.3 KB, 349 views)