View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 06:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Diesel driveline 101:

It's shot.

You will need the ball bushings on both ends. Hopefully you can save the rear splined coupling. Post some pics up when you get the driveshaft out.

Here is what the front ball/bushing looks like. These are pretty cheap if you buy them direct. Put a post in the "wanted" section. You need to press out both of yours first to see if there is any other damage and if there is not, press in the new ones.(You can use a hammer and socket to remove and install them)
DSC03395.jpg

Here is the seal you will need. National 47146
DSCN0866.jpg

I would also bet that driveshaft is worn and shot on both ends. I would contact "Jeff in PA" to see if he can make you a new one (he can) and also get rid of the pos disconnect clutch. You can save the coupling on one end of the shaft but he will need to make you a new one for the other end if you ditch the disconnect clutch. If you go this route, get the drive shaft made last. You will need to fit everything up and get a measurement for the shaft.

Replace the rag joints and fasteners associated with them.

Others have converted over to the CV style (better design) but I run the original rag joint design in all mine so far.