View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merk View Post
The difference is the cubic inches each engine has and possible carb size. They do have the same bore. The stroke is different.

This information came from a Briggs and Stratton repair manual.
The first 1 or 2 digets (depending on horsepower)in this case 2 digets is cubic inches.
The first diget after displacement is the basic design series.
The 2nd diget after displacement is the crankshaft,carburetor and governor type.
The 3rd diget after displacement is PTO, reduction gear, auxiliary drive and type of lubrication the engine has.
The 4th diget after displacement is the type of starter the engine has.

Briggs and Stratton Van Guard engines are good engines. They don't have the torque numbers as a single cylinder Kohler K series engine does. The Van Guard engines are harder to work on.
I own a off topic garden tractor with a 16 horsepower Van Guard engine. It was purchase new in 1996. That tractor has 1055 hours on it. The only engine problem I've had is a starter gear went bad.

Best thing you can do for your Cub Cadet is buy the repair manuals.
Merk Old Buddy

OK so the cubic inch displacement is different because of the stroke. Then I want you to explain why they use the same part number for the crank in the 1440 and the 1641 BS-807589 and the same replacement number for the short block.

Last time I checked displacement was a function of bore and stroke.
I am only telling you what the “Cub Cadet Parts” site has listed.

Not trying to be insulting but these little engines are not overly complex. Your talking to a guy that used to deal with things like Cat 3412 TTA’s
BX2670 with FEL