View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 09:09 PM

Hi Frank,

Thanks for additional advice. All done with the cam bracket - got it set really well. So now all that remains is this rpm / governor chasing issue. I adjusted both high (main) and low idle jets as suggested in the manual. There is a discrepancy, though, in the initial setting of the idle between 2 different manuals. I've always used that which is mentioned in the owner's manual - 1 full turn - and noticed that this is the way it was set previously with the old engine; however, the Kohler manual says 2 1/2 turns. I went from lean to rich on both and found what seems to be a good midway setting. (At least doing this sort of thing I'm used to from using my weedwacker...make adjustments on that all the time as needed).

So...what? Try the 2 1/2 turns and see what happens? How about changing the sensitivity on the governor, i.e. moving the spring to a different hole? From what I read, that affects either speed surge or drop, but may not cure a chasing condition. I should mention that I've not engaged the PTO / mower yet - actually have never made any carb adjustments with the mower running. For that matter, have hardly ever made carb adjustments since having the tractor. Pretty sure my brother did when it was in his shop last year and so haven't changed it from that but checked and it matches what I said previously - 2 turns for the main and 1 turn for the idle.