View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 09:17 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedawg82 View Post
I planted taters in the same spot last year and they did pretty well. I used a rented tiller to make 6 rows that ran up and down the hill, wide enough to mow between on the tractor. 2 rows of taters were successful crops, as was a row of cukes. Everything else wound up deer food, so everything else is going in raised beds inside of an electric fence.

This year I've got a 149 and a #1 tiller with an extension, and I'm about a belt and pulley away from breaking ground. I'll be able to plant across the hill, and a whole lot more. I'm on the hunt for the right sweeps and discs to hill 'em, just like your benders probably did.

As far as the corn goes, I'm mostly hoping to get the tractor set up to work a small corn field than anything. I may only grow 2 or 3 rows, and I'll plant them by hand if I don't go pick up an Earth Way seeder. It's the side dressing that gets me. I have my Cubs and that's it. If you or anyone else has rigged your cub to side dress, be it liquid or solid, I'd like to see what you did.
No real ideas on side dressing unless you go with a tractor such as the Farmall offset series--Cub through 140. Maybe you could cultivate a trench, drop your fertilizer in it and then cover it back up? I do remember using a horse drawn fertilizer distributor. Probably some of the older guys here remember them. Basically it looked like a plow with a hopper big enough to hold 50lb of fertilizer. We bedded the rows with the tractor, then opened them, pulled this down the row, then probably stirred the fertilizer with the rear sweeps on the tractor. Gardening is different when every thing you have is set up for tobacco fields!!

Just had a thought, look into a Cole horse drawn corn planter. Here in the Southeast those things are still very popular for gardeners. Guys make a hitch for them and pull them behind the offset series tractors. I think they have fertilizer hoppers on them. Nobody here uses the offset IH tractors for tobacco anymore so we are flooded with those machines for gardening. I would think with some welding you could put one behind a Cadet.

Another product that comes to mind would be an old Soda-Flo off a tobacco planter. These were add on attachments for putting out some starter fertilizer when planting with the old Holland transplanters. Pretty sure they have been obsolete for the last 25 years.

Just tossing out ideas, best of luck with your corn!

Here is a quick search on CL for Cole planters.
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/searc...y=cole+planter
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck