View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hall View Post
We quit gardening a few years ago, but raised a LOT in years past (over an acre). For most everything we planted in raised bed rows, because that's the type of equipment you have on a tobacco farm. Make sure your tater patch can drain well if you get a LOT of rain. One year where we had it the rows could not drain and the taters rotted---the other end of the rows were great!

Our favorite corn is Silver Queen--does great here in the Southeast. Others like Golden Queen or Peaches and Cream. Plant the same time as the farmers in your area do--should be reasonably soon. We noticed with late planted sweet corn it tends to get worms, not really an issue with normal planting dates. Regarding fertilizer, I don't know how much to tell you to use--too much can upset your stomach. That said, we planted our sweet corn with a 4 row planter and sprayed liquid nitrogen on it. Probably planted a little thicker than most folks too. Probably should side dress your corn fertilizer and get it at or just below seeding depth.
I planted taters in the same spot last year and they did pretty well. I used a rented tiller to make 6 rows that ran up and down the hill, wide enough to mow between on the tractor. 2 rows of taters were successful crops, as was a row of cukes. Everything else wound up deer food, so everything else is going in raised beds inside of an electric fence.

This year I've got a 149 and a #1 tiller with an extension, and I'm about a belt and pulley away from breaking ground. I'll be able to plant across the hill, and a whole lot more. I'm on the hunt for the right sweeps and discs to hill 'em, just like your benders probably did.

As far as the corn goes, I'm mostly hoping to get the tractor set up to work a small corn field than anything. I may only grow 2 or 3 rows, and I'll plant them by hand if I don't go pick up an Earth Way seeder. It's the side dressing that gets me. I have my Cubs and that's it. If you or anyone else has rigged your cub to side dress, be it liquid or solid, I'd like to see what you did.
Grumpy old 149/1A tiller, Trusty Rusty 106, & a Massey Ferguson 10 to work the garden, Tiny Snapper to mow the lawn. Slowly accumulating attachments and quickly driving the neighbors crazy on a half acre homestead.