View Single Post
Old 04-06-2019, 08:32 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozcubowner View Post
Thanks Cooperino , but what was reported is the Jury pool / Venire had to complete this 18 page questionnaire before anything else took place
Apparently the questionnaire related to opinions on Police , Coloured people , Sudanese etc , for me this is putting up people who have a very similar outlook / stereotype and in this case I would suspect that pool may lean toward the defendant
A bit like picking a Jury off this forum to sit in Judgement of a Husqvarna owner , we all might be a bit biased
Trust the legal system in Minnesota works on the facts and no outside influences
Oz
I understand where your coming from. I have myself have served jury duty and filled out a similar size questionnaire. It mostly contains questions that try to identify bias. I think the process is important. For example. Lets say the victim is of a race or nationality that may have in past history or still is a victim of bias. You would not want someone on the jury that believes in bias against that person for color, ethnicity, or religious beliefs right? So the questionnaire is designed to remove jurors "that respond honestly" about having bias beliefs against either the victim or the defendant.

The key word here is honestly. Keep in mind. The people being questioned do not know any details of the case prior to filling out the questionnaire.

Lets say one of the questions is.

Do police make you feel safe? Maybe my answer is, NO
Or rate 1-10 how much you like police My answer maybe.. 1

This person is not a good juror either. You can't have a juror sitting on the stand who is bias against police either.

That's all the questionnaire is really about. Finding a good balance of jurors.