View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
You will be fine with what you have. Cub didn't start using splined rears until the 1572 on the diesels. The 782D, 882 & 1512 all use the standard GT pump. IMHO, I think that the rag joint takes some of the abuse of the engine pounding away at the pump. I'm not saying the CV isn't the way to go but I don't run mine enough to worry about the original system failing. If you're putting a bunch of hours on it then I say go the CV route.
As Far as answering coop's question on a lovejoy type coupling for the rear:
I have not tried it on a diesel, as I don't own one, nor have a desire for one.

The 3 cyl seems to hit harder and chew up the drive system so a slight cushion
of a rag system or cushioned cv, in my mind, would seem better, mirroring Oaks thoughts.

I do however use a "Boston" coupling on both my 782's and a Tractor supply china knock off 3 jaw on the 1650.
One of the 782's has over 900 hours on the Boston 3 jaw using a nylon spider instead of a rubber one with no wear to be found.
Thing I like about a 3 jaw is, it runs dead true yet can take slight
misalignment, with minimal parts.

But I'm different, some here don't like the setup, I'm ok with that, I never followed the pack, taking a path of my own on occasion.

I will add that I have not tested the 3 jaw coupling in a continuous hard pulling situation, like mold board plowing or modified/weighted competitive tractor pulling.
If the system proved faulty, it would only take a few minutes to restore the original drive line to service.